Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Seeking thoughts about the way I played a hand in Pacific MTT

I'm relatively new to poker and these forums so I might not be using all the correct terminology and whatnot, feel free to correct me if you notice something.

I would like to hear any insight and advice people might have on this hand:

It's towards the end of the second level (15-30) in a $5 buy in fast (blinds increase every 5 min) multi-table tournament.

I have ~T1100, average is around ~T900.

I'm in the small blind with AJo.

UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, everyone else folds around to me.

I raise to 120, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop comes: 6,7,J rainbow (Pot now T390)

I bet 300, UTG raises to 767, UTG+1 folds.

I raise all in to 915, UTG calls with AA.

AA holds up and I'm out of the tournament.

I'm pretty sure I was correct to raise preflop with AJ in the SB (although I welcome insights to the contrary) but I'm not sure if I should have called the post-flop raise.

At the time I ruled out QQ-AA as a possibility because I figured they would have either raised or reraised pre-flop. JJ just seemed highly statistically unlikely given I had a J and the board had a J. I also ruled out J6 and J7 because I assumed they wouldn't have called a raise with those hands. That left me thinking I was way ahead maybe KJ or QJ, so I called. I might have come to a different conclusion if not for the 20 sec timer about to go off, so I’d like to be able to improve my thought process about these sorts of things. Any thoughts?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Seeking thoughts about the way I played a hand in Pacific MTT

*bump*
Old 07-14-2005, 04:24 PM

I would just complete in the SB, AJo is weak out of position. I think your bet on the flop was fine but I might fold to the reraise, but since this is a turbo tourney I would probaly shove my chips in
Old 07-14-2005, 05:12 PM

I play in a lot of MTTs at Pacific, and can tell you that you are expecting way too much out of your fellow players, especially that early in a tournament!

Less than one in ten has probably read enough to "know" not to slow play aces, and fewer still paid any attention!

Better luck next time (as long as you are not playing me!).

If you are playing me, don't worry--I will bet my aces!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:18 PM

Don't raise from the SB with an UTG caller especially if this is early in the tourney and it's 10 person. Just call or fold even, your OPP and obviously in trouble.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't raise from the SB with an UTG caller especially if this is early in the tourney and it's 10 person. Just call or fold even, your OPP and obviously in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what "OPP" means but from context I would assume it means something having to do with not having favorable position. Is that correct? Also, if that is the case, why does that mean I am 'obviously in trouble'? I understand how not having good position could be unfavorable but I don't see why it automatically means I'm in trouble. (not trying to be sarcastic btw).

I do see your point about position though. I have a very bad habit of thinking of the blinds as "late position" since they act after a lot of players preflop. I was making my raise with that thought in mind.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:19 PM

Just call preflop, raising does too much bad for you.

To the person who said fold preflop, I say that's ridiculous. I can't really put it into words, but basically that's really really really bad IMO.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the time I ruled out QQ-AA as a possibility because I figured they would have either raised or reraised pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bad assumption

[ QUOTE ]
I also ruled out J6 and J7 because I assumed they wouldn't have called a raise with those hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
bad assumption

Also, it's really really bad to think of the blinds as "late position". When stacks are not very shallow, they are anything but. It's very important.

It's hard to say given you didn't say whether this was a huge field or a smaller field, but I think your postflop play was probably fine given that you raised preflop. The problem with the whole hand is the raise preflop, it really caused you to go broke after the flop by inflating the pot preflop with a weak hand OOP. Think about how this hand and other hands you can play with AJo against two players would have likely played out after the flop had you just limped.

Given that this is a turbo, probably a large field, and pacific, I probably go broke here in a raised pot too. But don't be so quick to discount holdings like J6, J7, and overpairs in this kind of situation. Your opponents are very bad, and you have to keep this in mind (also this is one of the reasons that I would go broke on this hand, where I would be much less likely to go broke with this hand early against a stronger field).

Anyway these are just my thoughts on the hand and your thought process. I hope they are somewhat helpful.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:55 PM

I would probably limp with AJo in the SB in one of these tourneys, but I don't think raising is incorrect.

But I don't think that makes any difference in this hand. I think when the flop comes J high, there is no way I'm laying it down in this kind of tourney. The UTG is probably the kind of player who would do this with QJ. You got unlucky he plays AA like this. Most of the players in these tourneys are terrible, and trying to put them on a hand is almost impossible.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]