Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 04:02 AM

Default AK hits nice flop. And resistance.

Empire 200 NL full ring. Villain (35/15/2.8) has around $200, I have him covered.

I get AKo in late position

I raise to $8 and get 2 callers, including Villain from the BB.

Flop is A23 rainbow.

Checked to me and I bet $20. 1st guy folds. Villain raises to $60. He starts yacking a bit in the channel saying "AA no good. 54" I fold.

I feel like I should know what to do in these situations. This was a tough one. He's putting 1/3 of his stack in there, so I'm thinking he's willing to go all the way. He could have AQ, which would be a catastrophe. But he, of course, could have 33/22 which seem very likely. A2s/A3s which are possible given his VPIP, 54s is slightly possible. Even slight chance of AA?

I also know Ciaffone recommends to fold hands like this in PL/NL.

Is this a good fold?
Old 07-15-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Re: AK hits nice flop. And resistance.

My default play is to fold here as well without a very good read. Usually when people call raises and the c/r on A/K high flops they can beat AK.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:14 AM

Dude fold. Anyone who tells you otherwise is insane! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Considering the stats, this is actually a close play. The wind tunnel safe move is to fold. With reads, this may be a re-raise.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:20 AM

I certainly wouldn't reraise. I'd call if I was going to continue playing the hand and let him bet off his stack.

Ryan
Old 07-15-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering the stats, this is actually a close play. The wind tunnel safe move is to fold. With reads, this may be a re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't raising let him get away from hands we beat too easily? If i continued playing I'd much rather call and raise all-in on the turn.

EDIT: Damn I'm too slow [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly wouldn't reraise. I'd call if I was going to continue playing the hand and let him bet off his stack.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're right. If you re-raised and he pushed you'd be commited. I did originally tell you to call if you had a better read, but this cough syrup is kicking my ass. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't raising let him get away from hands we beat too easily? If i continued playing I'd much rather call and raise all-in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, hero has position and it's better to call. I think that's what I initally sais when ryan brough this hand up, but I'm a little wired on Nyquil right now.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:17 AM

btw ryan... if villan does indeed have you beat here, put a note on him * Horrible poker player *. So you know when to call in the future. K?

If he has 22, 33 or A2 A3 on a rainbow flop with a pre-flop raiser, what a horrible check-raise on the flop, and he just lost a nice chunk of money giving away his hand so early HU's. He should have lead that flop into you, or check/called.