Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Any way to get away from this hand?

$240, top 17 get paid, twenty fiveish left. I have about 15,000 blinds are 80-1600. Pick up JJ UTG, make it 4000, button mumbles about me always getting in his way,(Few hands earlier I push him of KQ with my JQ) then he just calls.

He has about 20,000 and has been playing tight but when he moves it is usually big bet, big cards. Not much calling. I figure an A with nothing higher than J and I have two of them.

Flop comes 10h8h7c, I think about it for a second and then push. I have Jh and a nine gives me a str8 but that was only marginal reasoning at best. I don't want him drawing and I don't want to gamble. He calls and turns over AA. I am gone.

Well played with the whole act and everything but even without it I can see playing it anyway different than I did. If he comes over the top preflop, I may have dumped because I really needed to get in the money. But, if that is my reasoning couldn't I have just as easily checked when I missed the flop and hope for a check behind? Basically I would have been giving up on the hand because he is gonna push if I check. Is there any equity in playing for the money this far out? Seventeenth would have been nice so I can't say that the final table was all I was interested in.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Any way to get away from this hand?

there is no way to get away from this hand. i would probably just push preflop -- you have slightly less than 10xbb with a great hand but a vulnerable one -- and you will be out of position if called and an overcard flop will be tricky.

the flop that came was great for you and there's not much you can do. that's poker baby.