Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Comments Wanted On WSOP Hand

Blinds are 800-1600 with a 200 ante. I'm sitting on 60,600 which is a little below average. I pick up Ah Ad in middle position and make it 4600 to go. The SB, who was recently moved to our table with almost 200,000, calls. He has been active, playing lots of pots. He recently raised to 6000 with A9o and called a 28,000 all-in raise without batting an eye. Flop is 5h 5c 3h. He checks &amp; I bet 5500 into the 12,600 pot. At this point I'm hoping to get some action from a guy who's been splashing around quite a bit. My wish is granted and he calls pretty quickly. Turn is 6d. Another check and now I must decide how much to bet on the turn. The pot is 23,600 and against an average stack I would probably choose 15,000 but this guy has shown that he is willing to call big bets. I briefly consider going all-in but decide against it because I need to gather some chips. I bet 20,000. He goes in the tank and then asks how much I have left. 30,300 is the answer. A little more thinking before he calls. River is 2s making the final board 5h 5c 3h 6d 2s. Now he looks at me, looks at the pot and motions with his hands as he says "all-in". Now my tournament life is on the line. The pot is 93,900 and to call I must throw my last 30,300 out there. What does he have? Busted flush draw, 44, a lone 5, medium pair. Could be any of those, as well as overcards that never came. The big question in my mind was if he had planned on moving me in on the river no matter what came. It's very possible that when he asked what I had left on the turn this was his plan. What would you do? <font color="black"> </font>
Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Comments Wanted On WSOP Hand

Personally, I would have gone all-in (gambled), but immediately after the flop. You obviously may know more about this than I do, being that far and all. For your opponent, someone who seems to be "chasing" a lot recently, I would expect him to be on a flush draw, or to have absolutely nothing. Even if he paired a high card on the board, you've beaten him with your higher pair. A tough call, especially that far in a tourney, but I would think you have to gamble at some point, and only you had the best read on whether he's got it or not (at least I hope so).

What did you do?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:57 AM

Bet more on the flop (10k), push the turn. Sure there is a pair on the board but it is 5s.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:00 AM

My thinking exactly. Even if he's got a 5, you can kick his ass outside for making a crap call (unless he also has a suited A or K, IMO...;P)
Old 07-13-2005, 09:22 AM

No way I'm pushing in on the flop. Why would I bet 55,800 into a 12,600 pot? It doesn't make sense. He's going to come over the top before the flop if he has a big pair, so if I move in on the flop the chances of getting called are slim (unless I'm beat) and I DO want a call here. If he dosen't have a 5 or 33 I have him drawing very thin and I want to milk him for whatever I can. On the turn I want to give him bad pot odds to draw for a flush or straight. I bet 20,000 into a 23,600 pot giving him 2.18 to 1. Even if he has a 4 AND a heart draw (very unlikely because I have the Ah) he's not getting the right price. The big question remains - would he push in on the river with his huge stack no matter what card came off? I thought it was very likely but didn't really want to get knocked out by calling off my last 30,300. I thought for well over 2 minutes before making my decision. I'll post later after looking at some of the responses.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If he dosen't have a 5 or 33 I have him drawing very thin and I want to milk him for whatever I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a heart flush draw?!

Your flop bet was way too weak, 3/4 pot (about 9000-9500) would have been better.

Then all in on the turn after the "blank" hits. If he has you, he has you, don't let him see another card for next to nothing.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:32 AM

Pot the flop.
Move in on the turn.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:22 PM

Pot size or larger bet on the flop -- bet was too small. If he calls that, all-in on the turn.

As played, call on the river. If he has a 4, so be it.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:50 PM

I agree with the majority of the other posters that you need to bet more on the flop, which in turn makes an all-in on the turn more reasonable, as long as no scary cards come. As it is, you have to call on the river, can't let yourself be that short stacked and there are plenty of things you can beat here that he would make this bet with.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:01 PM

You can't play your hand weakly trying to get action and then fold when you get it. Your bet sizes give him reason to think you don't love your hand, consequently you have to call.