Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Good Laydown? Top 2 Pair with suited flop

Sorry i don't have the exact hand history, I'm at work so I'm going by memory. Not many reads, Party 1/2 9max. Player A is in early position, LAAG, Player B immediately to his left, no reads yet. Has played about 5/15 hands so far. I'm in mid position.

Player A limps, B limps, I raise with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Folds around to A who calls, B calls. (7.5 small bets)

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

A Bets, B raises, I fold, A reraises, B calls

I put one of these players on probably a nut flush draw, or maybe the nuts. I figured that they probably both had at least 1 heart, and I was drawing real slim against a flush. I just moved up to $1/2 and have been doing ok so far, but I'd like to try and plug leaks now.

- Would you guys peel 1 more off and see how they act on the turn? I've only got a few outs and A has yet to act behind me so I doubt it's a good move...
- If you were drawing to a flush, would you play as aggresively as these two?

Thanks for the input, these forums are great, I've learned so much just reading all the hand posts.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Good Laydown? Top 2 Pair with suited flop

Terrible fold. You are much more likely to be up against Kx and a flush draw than against a flopped flush, and even then you have outs.

Three-bet that flop and go from there. I might lay this down on the turn if it's bet and raised again after I reraise the flop, but that's a decision for another street. The flop fold is putrid.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:13 AM

Just food for thought.

Assuming we're playing against good players, which probably isn't the case, I think ep limpers usaully have low pocket pairs or suited connectors. At least that is what I will limp with ep in a LOOSE, PASSIVE table. I'm not saying a fold is good here; however, it's possible we are beaten. We do not have the correct odds to draw to a 4 out hand. Assuming if we are beaten, of course. I think this hand is tricky.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 AM

I raise this. If neither player caps, you're almost definitely ahead. If one of them does cap, there's still a good chance you're ahead.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:40 PM

I really don't like this fold. Especially with the lag leading out, B's bet could be a simple isolation play with a big [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I'm 3betting this here, and planning on seeing the river unless a 4th [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] comes.

-Jaran
Old 07-13-2005, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think this is one of the things I need to work on - realizing that just because there's a scare card or 3 to a flush, doesn't necesarily mean they've got it.

The turn went like this: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A check, B bet, A call

I realized my mistake as soon as A checked

River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A check, B bet, A call

A shows A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

B shows A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 02:14 PM

You can't fold this hand unless a fourth heart hits and you're forced to overcall on the river.

There are 10.5 SBs when it's two to you. You're 43-4, or just a tick under 11-1 to improve. On that alone, you don't have the odds to chase, and far from it.

But here's the catch: You probably have the best hand, and it's not like you're holding a weak top pair with weak kicker and are subject to all kinds of redraws against a huge field. Your hand is strong, has a chance to improve, and when it does, your implied odds are gonzo. You'll likely cap against smaller boats, flushes and maybe even a straight, and maybe on both remaining streets, to boot.

Three-bet the flop and go from there. Folding is an absolute no-no here.