Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Switching table because you\'re killing the fish

Maybe I suck...this is entirely possible and should not be disregarded.

Is there any merit to changing tables after you have been beating up on 1 or 2 soft spots at a table? After sucking enough money from their seemingly endless supply and relentlessly isolating these players, do you think they wise up enough to fight back? Do you think they tighten up against you and become much tougher players because they feel you are singling them out?

I'm curious what people think. Is it possible that very profitable opponents become marginally profitable or even unprofitable from too much isolation and from losing too much to a single player. Is it possible that after we've burnt this bad player image into our heads that when these players start to play better against us we don't give them credit and play wrecklessly against them?

I'd like to hear some thoughts.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Switching table because you\'re killing the fish

yes in general i like to hit and run against fish and sit and stay against tags.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes in general i like to hit and run against fish and sit and stay against tags.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny stuff... I'm not trying to blow this too far out of proportion. I'm not saying that you always change tables because you've been destroying a couple of weak spots. But what I am asking is, have peoiple noticed if really bad or otherwise profitable opponents tend to stiffen up against you when you're really giving it to them. To the point of either being much less profitable that you can find a better game, or even un profitable if you fail to adjust.

I just seem to notice that if I'm killing a guy for quite a while and he still manages to hang on a bit through others or reloads, that he begins to tighten up against me. Sometimes I might not even notice and begin to play unprofitably against him or may not readjust to his his new tendancy. Maybe its just me, but I thought Id see if others have had similar experiences.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:47 PM

I stay at a table until the table goes bad, I start playing badly, or it's night-night time.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I stay at a table until the table goes bad, I start playing badly, or it's night-night time.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you must play some pretty short sessions!

ZING [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you must play some pretty short sessions!

ZING [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exceeeeeedingly short.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:16 PM

No, I never leave a table until it becomes too tough to beat. If you beat up on a couple fish at worst it means they'll fold more hands against you, either way the pot's heading your way in those hands. However I do understand what you mean, sometimes you'll hit a table real hard, end up doubling your buy in etc. and you'll notice that more people avoid you. However, I see that as a chance to pick some pots up. Now if you see a fish or two leave or a few players you know are TAGs swoop in, then it may be time to leave. Those guys were probably sitting on waiting lists to get ahold of those fish just like you did and may make that game a lot less profitable. However, if it's just a matter of bad players tightening up a little bit there's no way I'll leave because they're still very mistake prone.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 07-12-2005, 11:22 PM

Table texture is dynamic. Accordingly, one must continually adjust - to both good players and bad ones.

The point is, though, that bad players are just that - bad players. And they are the ones we profit from. As long as you're making better decisions than your opponent(s), the table is generally profitable, and you should stay there.

That said, some "profitable" tables are juicier than others. Feel free to always check out other tables, if you think you there are better ones available.

Adam
Old 07-13-2005, 02:18 AM

I tend to stay at juicy tables regardless of my results. Sometimes I will leave if the fish are killing ME, because then it seems like everyone thinks I suck and wants to take shots at me. There's nothing more fun than completely crushing a LAG fish though by beating his hands and picking off his bluffs. They get so passive and scared - I know it's not really +EV, but the psychological fun makes up for it.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:03 AM

I sat at a 2/4 table for 14 hours one night, at the Monte Carlo, while 2 guys from Mexico City proceeded to see every flop turn and river for about 12 of those hours. I then stayed another 2hrs and played 4 handed against 2 dealers and a fish who was complaining every hand we weren't playing 4/8. I left after 14 hrs, after taking the last dollar in his wallet.

I never leave a table because I am beating up on the fish. I figure either I am going to beat up on them, or someone else is.