Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Starting Hand strat for O/8 short handed?

I'm really trying to refine my Omaha/8 strategy as I'm finding more and more people learning hold em and the tables getting tighter and guys who were stations 6 months ago are now buying free cards and check-raise bluffing rivers....

Go to a typical O/8 game and it seems very few have learned any strategy for omaha at all.

My question is, how, if at all, do you alter your strategy for O/8 shorthanded play? I haven't found any good lit on it yet, and at a lot of sites I find myself in a lot of short handed games trying to create a table or keep one limping along.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Starting Hand strat for O/8 short handed?

I don't have anything written down. The places I will add hands short handed would be hands like 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or I'll come in for a raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (I'd be happier if there was something suited.)

But take this one with a grain of salt. I'm still making it up as I go along.

Dave
Old 07-19-2005, 06:11 PM

I believe Ray Zee's book has some pearls of wisdom on this. But I have two cents to toss in. 1) short handed O/8 becomes much more like a crap shoot and therefore I like to avoid it whenever possible. (the swings can get quite large) 2) if you're going to play, second nuts and even 3rd becomes much stronger holdings. The trick is knowing when your 2nd nut is good and when it's time to toss it. Therefore, I'll at least limp any three wheel cards, most 23xx, A45x, A4s, etc. You can start raising preflop more liberally as well. A3suited is generally worth a raise now as well as a couple other holdings that you would otherwise limp at a 10-handed game. If someone raises in front of you, don't call with these extra holdings. They don't tend to hold up well.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:16 AM

dont listen to theese guys, they both dont have it together....