Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Playing AA, KK, QQ less than 5 handed for max value?

I am curious as to other's approaches with these monster hands when short-handed. I really do not like to limp with these hands but even with a min raise many people will just fold their hands.

Would it be best to just limp with these and try and hope that you still have the best of it after the flop and make your move?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Playing AA, KK, QQ less than 5 handed for max value?

I think it depends on how you play other hands, If you're a Gus Hansen who plays a lot of pots for a raise then you play them for a raise with confidence, but if you never raise, then raising with them sends of alarm bells. If you limp, you're hoping someone else catches just enough to playh, but not beat you, and of course that's walking a fine line.

I have tried limping with big hands a lot, and I usually end up in a multi way limped pot with a flop of 8s 9s 10s, not holding the As. I now only limp with them if I have a strong reason to suspect someone will come over the top of me pre-flop.

I do like to cold call with them though if I think I cna play the original raiser heads up in position.

I think your best solution is to raise with enough other hands that your AA raise are disguised.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:01 AM

I agree, but if you don't raise preflop all that much (even though you should be raising quite a bit 5 handed) and you think you will be able to lay down your high pair when you need to, it can be a good play to limp with them.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:56 PM

well, when you are less than 5-handed you are playing all kinds of pots and raising with all kinds of pots in hopes of stealing blinds so the problem becomes apparent when people are folding a lot and you want to get action, but you don't want someone to suck out on a bad flop.

I guess, I will continue to raise, min raising to 3BB raising with them and just hope for action.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:02 PM

which is better, getting stacked after limping in with AA and losing to someone who hits two pair on a board of 4 9 3 off or taking one callers and the blinds' money preflop?
Old 07-12-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which is better, getting stacked after limping in with AA and losing to someone who hits two pair on a board of 4 9 3 off or taking one callers and the blinds' money preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is better, limping in with AA and stacking somebody in a blind with 98 who thinks his hand is good on a 4 9 3 rainbow flop, or just stealing the blinds, which you can do with any two cards?