Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 11:48 PM

Default check river w/ overpair?

villain is button and has been passive post-flop, and a little too loose preflop.

Party Poker (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, button calls, hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
hero bets, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, button calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
hero bets, button calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
hero bets, button calls.

Should I be worried about a passive player calling me down here, or amd I ok to fire one more round on this river?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: check river w/ overpair?

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be worried about a passive player calling me down here, or amd I ok to fire one more round on this river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer two questions:
1) What range of hands do you think he'll call this river with?
2) What range of hands do you think he'll bet this river with?
Old 07-12-2005, 01:34 AM

Raise pf...the rest looks fine except for UTG+1 folding pf and then folding on the flop. I believe folding twice is against the rules.

-Jaran
Old 07-12-2005, 01:38 AM

I think a raise preflop is in order. I get the feeling you lost this hand. From the flop on, nh.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise pf...the rest looks fine except for UTG+1 folding pf and then folding on the flop. I believe folding twice is against the rules.

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG + 1 actually limped pf
Old 07-12-2005, 08:52 AM

the more I looke at it, the more I think I like the river bet.

I do want to discuss the pf complete with you guys though.

A little more insight into the situation first - I'm short BR'd for this limit at party right now because I'm clearing a bonus. This means that occasionally I'll have to pass up a small edge in order to reduce my variance. Not normally my style, but it'll have to do until this bonus clears and I can move it around.

A second part of my low-variance strategy is to find the most passive tables I can. The one I'm sitting at in this hand is probably the most passive I've ever witnessed. The players are generally tight-ish pf, as there is usually only around 3 to a flop.

So, I made the decision to take a cheap flop out of position with a medium pp for a couple of reasons:

1)there were more limpers than usual in this spot, and I didnt like my chances of driving any of them out with a raise from here.

2)a hand like 99 can have a huge equity shift one way or the other on the flop with this many limpers. I didn't like the idea of raising and then having to throw this away.

3)I've been able to take down more than my share of pots with a turn bet. I thought I may have a shot at taking this down with the second best hand on a later street if I kept it smallish.

Overall I figured I may not have enough equity to raise for value and I sure wasn't chasing anyone away, so I thought I'd take a cheap flop and re-evaluate.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A little more insight into the situation first - I'm short BR'd for this limit at party right now because I'm clearing a bonus. This means that occasionally I'll have to pass up a small edge in order to reduce my variance. Not normally my style, but it'll have to do until this bonus clears and I can move it around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never play sub-optimal poker because you're short bankrolled. This should be the absolute last option. Cut down on # of tables, do whatever else you have to do but don't play a weak/scared game.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:41 AM

Sometimes I complete here, sometimes I raise. River bet is perfectly fine.