Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 04:40 AM

Default QQ is overpair against TAG

my first instinct was to fold to the flop 3bet. after all, what am i really beating here.. AK on a pure bluff?

villian was the only other TAG at a table full of very loose donks. his stats were something like 15/8/3. his flop aggression was 3.9. i had been about 3 orbits at the table and this was the 2nd hand he had entered.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero cries.

call the flop 3bet, fold the turn UI? call down hoping he's frustrated with AK? as tight as he is, PE was telling me he was down like 1.5BB/100 after about 10k hands, which suggests to me his postflop play is bad.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:07 AM

Default Re: QQ is overpair against TAG

I would probably just begin calling down immediately once the flop came and UTG+1 led.

But, anyway, given the line you took, I'm not sure. There are a few players who play AK like it's the nuts, whether they catch or not. UTG+1's stats suggest that he could be one of them. But you haven't really seen him play, so it's hard to say.

Given the information you have, I think I would call on the turn, with the plan of calling again on the river, expecting to lose. One thing I might tell myself while I was doing this (to cheer myself up) is, "Maybe he thinks I have AK and his TT is good."
Old 07-10-2005, 05:09 AM

I cap this PF, trying to get Heads up. You don't want KQs or AQo to call down. I would 3bet Party 2/4 w/ JJ or 10's, so i wouldn't put him on that small of a range, even if he is TAG. I might reraise the flop, or pop the turn, or cry like you said and call down.

Im not sure though, i'd like someone with more experience to comment and tell me what they think, as i'm just learning myself. Suggestions?
Old 07-10-2005, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I cap this PF, trying to get Heads up. You don't want KQs or AQo to call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 05:54 AM

Sorry, i misread his first statement about folding the flop 3bet, thinking it was PF. Anyway- i'd call the 3 bet on the flop, and call down, expecting to lose.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:00 AM

I think I fold. AK would certainly call the flop raise, I don't see how we're winning.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:46 AM

why did you raise the flop?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why did you raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

"for information" .. buy that? i don't. i guess i raised because i had an overpair. him 3betting me gave me a chance to fold. i didn't. i called him down and he showed AA. always trust your first instinct..

i think calling down from the flop on is good because it allows him to lead on the turn and river with nothing (given his high agg stats), and if you raise he might release on the turn, checking/folding UI. the way i raised, and he 3bet, it put me to a difficult decision. next time i call down in this situation. if overcards hit on later streets, i'm not sure.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think calling down from the flop on is good because it allows him to lead on the turn and river with nothing (given his high agg stats)

[/ QUOTE ]