Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Flopped boat w/ 3 limpers....How do you extract maximum value?

Pacific Poker NL 400 (6 Max)

Reads: SB is super donk, BB and CO are "OK".

Hero ($879.03)
MP ($127.10)
CO ($565.10)
Button ($298.73)
SB ($157.30)
BB ($462.34)

Hero is UTG w/ 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop:

Hero calls $4, MP folds, CO calls $4, Button folds,
SB completes, BB checks. (I don't always limp UTG w/ this type of hand, but I did this time, so please no comments on whether or not this was a good play.)

Flop: ($16) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Everyone checks.

Turn: ($16) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets $16, Hero calls $16, CO and SB fold.

River: ($48) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets $24, Hero raises to $120, BB pause for a long while and folds. Hero wins pot ($192).

How is this line? I have to check the flop because I want to keep everyone in the pot.

When the turn comes, I just want to call because I want to give my opponents a chance to complete a straight or back door a flush.

The real issue here is how much to bet the river. Do you push, hoping villain has an 8 or a straight? Do you minraise? Or do you make a fairly large bet that villain might payoff since it doesn't cost him his stack?

Whats your river play?

Comments on all streets appreciated as well.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Flopped boat w/ 3 limpers....How do you extract maximum value?

I'd probably lead out and bet the flop. The only way you're going to win a large pot here is if someone else also has an eight, and if you play it aggressively you might be able to stack somebody. Bet half the pot, and see what happens.

As you played it, I'd raise less on the river, probably about 50$. Best way to milk a little bit of extra value on the end.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably lead out and bet the flop. The only way you're going to win a large pot here is if someone else also has an eight, and if you play it aggressively you might be able to stack somebody. Bet half the pot, and see what happens.

As you played it, I'd raise less on the river, probably about 50$. Best way to milk a little bit of extra value on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't like the idea of checking to give someone a free shot at completing a straight?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:10 PM

I think checking is the best way to milk a little extra value out of your hand. I think betting is the best way to win a really big pot if there's anything to be won. With stacks this deep, I personally would bet.

If Villain had a hand like 98 and was afraid of the straight on the board when you made your river raise, you may have won a large pot indeed by betting the flop aggressively.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:21 PM

I like betting an amount that makes drawing to the straight correct on the flop.

if you bet 5 or 6, they'll almost certainly call. but with that call you've made potsize 80% more on the turn.