Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2003, 02:31 PM

Default 15-30 hand for comments.

I open-raise from one before the cutoff with
A[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

The cutoff makes it 3 bets and only I call.
The flop is:

8[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

I check, cutoff bets, I check-raise, cutoff calls.

turn: Q[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

I check. Cutoff bets, I call.

River J[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

I bet, cutoff calls and obviously my hand was
good.

Comments?

D.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:59 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: 15-30 hand for comments.

unless you know the person to be the type to 3bet with a weaker ace, the correct play in this situation is often to check/call - just make sure that a bet goes in on every street from both of you.

if he has ak, aq, or 88 on the flop you're beaten badly. if he has something good but not beating you (e.g. kk) the last thing you should want to do is checkraise him out of the hand. people are more inclined to be aggressive when shown weakness than they are to call aggression.

there's always no substitute for knowledge of the opponent though.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:21 PM

Why check the turn? Were you afraid of his holding AQ?

Seems you played it well.

What did your opponent have?

-Scott
Old 02-12-2003, 04:59 PM

What did you know about the opponent? I think that his 3-bet means that he is representing either a pocket pair or AK. If he had a pocket pair, I don't think a sane player would have called the check raise or bet the turn. You are representing the Ace by check raising. Why not bet the turn yourself?
Old 02-12-2003, 05:40 PM

Default Result:

Usually, I would play this check-call, check-call, bet-the-river, so I am wondering if this is a good alternative.

I feel many players will call the check-raise on the flop even if they only have a pocket pair but would then fold to a bet on the turn, especially when the Q comes and their pair is smaller. Also it is quite reasonable for them to bet the turn after such a weak-looking check.

I would bet the river whatever comes.

It turned out the other player had pocket 10's.

D.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:43 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Result:

good to see your thought process on this one

i have to wonder whether it's worth 1sb to risk losing the opponent. while this is a great play against somebody who will regularly call a checkraise with a pocket pair or something like kqs, i think it should only be done against the most instrumentable of opponents.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Result:

I agree with Astro, good thinking on the flop and turn. As usual, I think it largely depends on your opponent, but your check looks as weak as cheese on the turn. I'm surpized he bet, I would think you are laying a trap. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The check on the turn makes you bets if your hand is good, and saves you bets if you are beat. Well played, start to finish.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:16 PM

David I think you were a wienie on the turn. Liked your play up to there. You have a 2 flush out there that he could be trying to bluff at you on the flop, now the pot is nice and you should be trying to take it down, not milk it for an extra bet. Pop his ++++ on the turn. But this maybe why I still have a day job.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:03 PM

i like fastplaying it as he could have flush draw or pocket pair and by fastplaying he may pay u off if he does have p.p.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:14 AM

It sounds to me like the cuttoff had either KK or AK, therefore I like the check on the turn. It induced him to bet, where he might have folded, had you come out betting the turn. Nice hand!