Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Where does concept of \"age of consent come from\"?

Simple question. Where does the value of age in relation to sex come from? Why does it matter? Biologically our species is able to engage in the act of sex at a much earlier age. Why exactly should I as an individual be confined to this particular value if I can find a someone of any age to have sex with without having to use physical force?

Why do we say that a child's consent is not the same of someone we consider an "adult"

Think hard about why this matters to you and if it should be reflected in our laws and remember this isn't about what you believe but rather why I should have this value impossed on me.

In short where do values come and why do they matter in a world without heaven, hell or sin?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Where does concept of \"age of consent come from\"?

Emotional maturity equals ability to form consent.

I hope you are just some frustrated 21 year old with a crush on a 15 year old who looks like she is going on 20, and not some NAMBLA pervert.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:11 PM

I think the gist of it is that children tend to want things immediately without considering the consequences.

After a certain age, it becomes assumed that a person has a certain amount of 'basic education' and understands the broader ramifications of his actions like having sex.

The precise age may be open to debate, but I think that it can be easily demonstrated that a young child is much more likely to make a poor decision here than an adult.

Many 'adult' activities have this 'consequence' feature to them and are therefore generally restricted from minors.

In addition, there is a safety component as well, since most of these age restricted activities tend to have consequences on the safety of other people in the vicinity.

Good judgement is a prerequisite for these activities and is more likely to be displayed by adults than children.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:21 PM

Yes but where did this come from? and why is it ok to imposse on those who do not have the same value?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I hope you are just some frustrated 21 year old with a crush on a 15 year old who looks like she is going on 20, and not some NAMBLA pervert.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be dense.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:26 PM

When you were a child did you make the sound decisions you make now? Obviosuly children are different than adults. Their brains are not fully developed and they don't have the capacity to fully appreciate the consequences of their action. As such we have to draw a line that fits the majority of the population. Obviosuly some are ready for those decisions at age 15, while some still aren't ready at 25, but we can't do things on a case by case basis.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes but where did this come from? and why is it ok to imposse on those who do not have the same value?

[/ QUOTE ]

This comes from experience. Humans have come to understand that the decisions of children tend to be of lower quality than their adult counterparts.

As to the imposition question, why is it ok for you to impose a child's poor decisions on me?

As an example, let's say that you think children should be allowed to drive, the moment they can reach the pedals. (Or we could modify the vehicle)

Do you think that would be a good idea? Why? Why not?

We don't prevent them from walking, right? Why stop them from driving?

For that matter, why impose on me that I have to stop at a red light when there is no other traffic at 3am? Shouldn't I just be able to run that light without consequence?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:49 PM

I think it just comes from a combination of animal instincts and democracy.

Since we are mammals we have natural instincts to protect our young. Adult elephants and chimps also protect adolescent females from horny males, even if it is not their own offspring, just a member of their group.

The instincts get us to speak our minds about it and the mechanism of democracy finds the median age.

If you ask me why I want the law to force you to stay away from my underage daughter it's because I can't be with her all the time. Unfortunately, children spend a lot of time away from their parents in modern industrial society. The system benefits because this setup is more efficient economically. Of course the downside is that we're all a bunch of drones in blind obedience with no autonomy but that's another, much broader question.