Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 03:03 AM

Default A day in the life of a shortstack (WSOP/ LC)

I busted out today, and figured I'd post my sad little tale (which any bust out story is), for those that are interested.

After a rough day 1 (2 pros and a TIGHT table), that saw me double up early, but then run my KK into an AA and then finish up with 2 hours of COLD cards. My stack dwindled, and I finished the day around 6K in chips.

So at the start of the day, when everyone was unbagging their chips and stacking them, I sat there and played with my entire stack of 5 chips. I definately wasnt the envy of anyone at my table.

My plan was simple, find the first good hand I could, push, and hope for the best. Welp, I got the pleasure of starting out the day in UTG. Yay! that meant Id get to drop over a 1K just getting through the first 3 hands, it was already looking bad. but my 3rd hand, im in the SB and its folded to the button who open raises. I look down and see KTs (diamonds). Good enough for me. I go all in for the 3rd time in the tourny. BB folds and the button calls. He turns up KTo. LoL. This is going to be a chop. But I give out a shout for diamonds anyway. And I actually get two on the flop. Now I get a little excited, cuz I've got a chance. Turn bricks, but the river is a diamond. sweet! The VERY NEXT HAND, the hijack opens for a decent raise, and I look down at AQo. I push my little (but growing) stack into the middle, everyone else folds and he calls, and then flips up ATo. Yeah baby!! Flop comes with a Q, turn brings his Ten, but the river blanks and I double up again! Im right back in it!! I started the day pretty much resigned to my fate of busting out, but here I am now with over 20K in chips and plenty of life.

About 20 mins later (I stole the blinds once, and folded all my other hands), I'm UTG and I look down at AA. I make a raise and its folded around to the BB (the same guy I doubled up off of the second time). He thinks for a few secs and then calls. And announces "I check in the dark". The flop comes an innocent looking 442 with 2 hearts. I make a bet and he comes over the top with a prety big raise. I figure him for a overpair or maybe even a flush draw just trying to bully me off my overcards. No way I'm gunna make some helmuth type laydown cuz I think he might have a 4. If he does, oh well, I'm not going to get many chances better than this in the tourny, and ive already come back from 6K in chips. So I go all in, and he insta calls and flips over A4o and my day is done [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Im still not sure if I would have just rather busted out on my first all in of the day. Letting me back in, and giving me hope, then dealing me a bad beat is just pretty cruel. Oh well, thats poker I suppose.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: A day in the life of a shortstack (WSOP/ LC)

well at least u got a little bit of a rush for ur money... better luck next time.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:08 PM

Ugh! AA vs A4 isn't how you want to remember going out.

Right plays, but just bad luck. Next year.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:49 PM

I'm not sure what dark-checking A4o accomplishes....Maybe he thought it was televised?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:34 PM

Perhaps a dumb question but what is the point of checking in the dark?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps a dumb question but what is the point of checking in the dark?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he thought it gave him some sort of advantage, he gets to act last so to speak, since he checks before the flop even happens, I cant read his check to be weakness. Im sure there are rare circumstances when it could be a useful play, but for the most part I think its just pretty dumb.