Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Dr. Al\'s \"Psychological Bankroll\" musings

My all time favorite and it isn't even close. Game changing- to say the least.

Anyway, I went to Card Player and couldn't find it. Anybody have a link?

Oh, and please discuss. I'm sure that to the seasoned posters this is not exactly ground breaking but nOObs like me need this type of priceless wisdom reinforced.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Dr. Al\'s \"Psychological Bankroll\" musings

If I remember correctly, I first used the term in a series on "Losing streaks" in "Poker Digest." It is now defunct.

The psychological bankroll is the amount you can lose before it affects your game. It is almost always MUCH less than your financial bankroll.

The implications of this bankroll are discussed in several articles in "Poker Psychology Essays" which Mason will be publishing this summer.

Regards,

Al
Old 07-05-2005, 09:44 AM

What really got me thinking about this subject was clearing the Party reload bonus Friday. I typically 4 table $2 $4 and currently have around three times the recommended 300 BB BR. However, when clearing the bonus I elected to play $1 $2 so as to take the "path of least resistance". I felt perfectly comfortable playing my every edge and had no significant emotional attatchment to the pot. Folding a good hand that I was certain was beat was no longer a blow to my ego. Best of all, I had no concern regarding losing an extra bet by "feeling opponents out" and "punishing pretenders" with a 3-bet here and there.

Although I am confident in my play and feel well insulated from the possibility of ruin, I nevertheless find the downswings irritating enough that I have postponed moving up. My inclination when things are not going well is to crawl into a weak-tight shell. Consequently, getting back on track is that much more difficult when one is not extracting full value from their hands.

It is an empowering feeling to be secure enough in ones financial situation and skill level so as to play fearlessly- knowing that no matter what comes your way you will inevitably win.

I wonder how many skilled shooters with a theoretically sufficient bankroll are really playing over their "psychological heads"?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:26 PM

you have a new book comming out Al? looking forward to it if so.