Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 06:36 AM

Default i was down with OPP, but not OOP

UTG was weakish (duh) button was 62.5/21.25/1.50 over only 16 hands. i have a habit of assuming players with stats like that over even a small sample are clowns. of course i could be wrong, but its better than nothing.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.66 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.33 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.33 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero ?

Is this a run of the mill call?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: i was down with OPP, but not OOP

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. If you were going to fold, you should have tossed on the turn.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. If you were going to fold, you should have tossed on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really. a lot of players will give up with overs/draws when checked to on the river.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:50 AM

I play it the same, although your AF states suggest this guy may be more of a clown preflop, and not automatically a bet-all-the-way-with-AK-UI type player.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:10 AM

I agree with you this is not a run of the mill call. If we ignore UTG for a moment and assume he is going to fold when the flop is bet then I think I would have checkraised the flop as this would have given you more information. 95% of the time when you bet into a preflop three betor you are going to get raised whether they have AK-AQ, or an overpair. I ran pokerstove on button's three betting range of AK-AJ and AA-99 and found you to have a 35% equity, so I think it is worth reaching a showdown with how you played it. My line against a weakish opponent would have been to check raise the flop and if three bet found unimproved on the turn. If he only called my checkraise then bet/fold on the turn and check/call the river.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:18 AM

I'm not comfortable relying on an unknown and potentially loose-aggressive player to give up on the river when I make the turn call. Is this something you do often? If I called the turn (and I usually would), only a river ace would convince me to fold.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:21 AM

his range should be a lot wider than AK-AQ and 99-AA, IMO. This is a button 3 bet of a CO raise so he could legitimately have a LOT of hands, especially with his PF stats. he could be betting his AT for value against your worse A high. he could have a smaller pair. he could have K high and be hoping to fold out your A high. if nothing else, I've got a pretty decent hand and I'd like to find out whether I need to be calling his river bets in situations like this for the sake future encounters (granted if he has the overpair we don't find out TOO much, but if he flips over AQ or KQ then that would be very useful info).

given his really wide range (hell he could have Axs and paired his x, although that's very unlikely) I like a river call
Old 07-05-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not comfortable relying on an unknown and potentially loose-aggressive player to give up on the river when I make the turn call. Is this something you do often? If I called the turn (and I usually would), only a river ace would convince me to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i don't do it often (or even decent amount of time) and usually pay to say the winning hand when the player bets.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:09 AM

I know people always overestimate the value of calling to see someone's hand, but I'd REALLY want to see this guy's hand.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know people always overestimate the value of calling to see someone's hand, but I'd REALLY want to see this guy's hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

i called and he had QQ

i would play it the same if given the chance