Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Interesting hand vs Harrington

I regret not doing one thing in this hand:

First orbit in the 5K NLHE some weeks back. Harrington is in the 6 seat, I'm in the 8 seat and we have same-sized stacks.

Harrington opens the pot in EP (maybe UTG) for standard raise in level 1 (probably 150 to go) and I call with AKo.

Flop is A53. Harrington check-calls a bet. Turn is an ace. Check/check. River is a 4 for a final board of AA345. Harrington checks, I bet ~500 (iirc) and now Harrington check-raises me to about 1500.

I call.

I think I made 1 mistake during the hand. What do u think?

Shane
Old 07-03-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Interesting hand vs Harrington

What hand is Harrington raising UTG that beats you?
Old 07-03-2005, 02:30 PM

I dont see what he would raise with UTG that contains a 2. Honestly only thing I can see him with is he hit a set to make a full house.

I would have pushed on the turn, half, 3/4 the pot.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:40 PM

I lead out on the turn here. If he folds, so be it. Its tough to put him on completing a straight or a full house here. I think you got to make the call here.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:51 PM

My thoughts are that you won the hand by calling but think you could have extracted more chips out of him.

Pre-flop: Re-raising is an option but this opens you up to a re-raise from harrington. I'm not worried about others players sicne I doubt they will play anything less than KK, maybe QQ. Based on your hand I think Harrington's most likely hands are QQ-TT and AQs.

Flop: Your bet could represent a lot of things here. If he doesn't know you he'll probably figure you to be a 50% chance (making this up here) to have an ace and if he has QQ there's a 50% chance you have an under pair to him or are drawing to three outs to hit a king. So he'll play along for a bet and see a turn. If its favorable to him he may try to push you out in the case you don't have an ace.

Turn: I think this is automatic. Unless he's "mixing it up" he's drawing to three outs (with the other ace) or two outs with an under pair. He might think your check behind is weakness in fear that he was slow playing an A (in the case you did not hold one). If you made a big bet here, I don't think Harrington would make a move without something that beats you.

River: I think you have to value bet. He probably just think you are trying to steal the pot away and puts in a big reraise and imo you have to call and not reraise just in case.

So I think the only place where you could question your play is on the flop and I think you think you should have checked behind. I'm not sure how you could have extracted more value by giving him a free card on the flop. Do let us know what he ended up having and if I'm way off here.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:09 PM

I guess the question is this: If you can get your opponent to fold the same hand as you hold with a big bet does it make up for the fact that you won't get paid off by a worse hand WHEN it's unlikely but not impossible that you are beat.

I merely called his check-raise and he showed down AK for a chopped pot.

I regretted not pushing back after Dan check-raised the river because it's very unlikely that he has either a wheel or a full-house.

It's probably close, since I am assuming that Dan would almost never raise 22-55 or A3, A4, A5 in this spot. But this early in the tournament, it is very unlikely that he has AK beat. Maybe it comes down to whether or not he would pay off a re-raise with AQ.

In any case, after he showed down the same hand as me, I questioned whether or not I could have gotten him to lay it down.

Shane
Old 07-03-2005, 03:14 PM

Good analysis. He quite possibly thought the same about you. He probably figured you wouldn't call with a 2 pre-flop to complete the straight on the board, and since you showed weakness on the turn he thought the possibility of a full house was non-existent.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I merely called his check-raise and he showed down AK for a chopped pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my only critique with the hand. You happen to know his playing style, while Harrington doesn't have a full scope on you yet.

I don't see any hand that he could have that beats AK, worst-case scenario for you is a chopped pot. With that said, I think had you pushed back after his river checkraise, you could put him to the test with AQ/AK.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:21 PM

After some further thought. I doubt you could have gotten him to lay the hand down because it seems unlikely, from reading his books, that he would check-raise the river with anything you have beat, since he doesn't have any good reads on you at this point of the tournament. And I just can't see him laying down top trips top kicker in this situation given that he open from EP (utg?) and you just called him (more than likely) knowing what kind of style he plays in the early stges of a tournament.

Obviously if you knew for certain that he held AK, then reraising would have been correct with slim chance that he might have folded a chop, but not being 100% sure, I'm don't know if slight chance he has you beat is worth the risk.

I'm wondering what hand ranges you had him on as the hand developed? also, how'd you do overall?
Old 07-03-2005, 04:27 PM

I think, if Harrington plans on folding to a push, then there is no way he risks check-raising you for T1000 more.