Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 03:26 AM

Default AK heads-up after a capped preflop

Villain is 27/15 and very aggressive postflop. He is virtually guaranteed to bet or checkraise the flop heads up
and bet the turn and usually the river if he is shown no further resistance (sometimes he will check-call the river, but he is certainly capable of betting the river with Ace high or less). There is no chance of him folding King high or better regardless of my actions postflop.

PREFLOP:
Hero open raises in the CO with AK, Villain 3-bets in the sb, Hero caps.

FLOP:
rainbow and misses me completely.

What is your plan?

Against this type of opponent I figure as soon as I put the 4th bet in preflop that I was committed to a showdown. Assuming the flop misses me, I usually bet the flop if checked to and then call his CR and call all the way down if I don't make a pair. If he bets into me on the flop I just call all the way down if I don't make a pair.

Is this correct?

Is there any board on which I can fold at any point? (I sure feel like a moron when I do it and get shown JJ every hand.)

What if I had AQ instead? Is there a board on which I can fold at any point? (I usually don't cap preflop, but I usually end up calling all the way down anyway).

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 07-02-2005, 03:38 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: AK heads-up after a capped preflop

considering he's pretty selective preflop and capable of being tricky I just call down
Old 07-02-2005, 03:43 AM

Since he bets or CRs any flop, no.

Cap AQ for value aswell vs that guy.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:02 AM

i like capping preflop so as to simplify postflop play. if villain has any tendency to give free cards, I would raise the flop -- whether checked to, bet into, even if check raised to. from the turn on, i call down and bet if checked to (even on the river if he's not capable of folding K high.) without the freecard tendency, you have no choice but to call down.

AQ poses more problems, but i cant see not capping preflop. postflop it may get expensive but i like to go to showdown unless the board is ridiculously scary.

as far as folding, if he's not capable of folding AK, i don't think you should either, especially when you have position on him.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:13 AM

You guys call all the way down with AQ also?
Old 07-03-2005, 01:14 AM

This may be a bit off base but how do you handle this situation if the bb is also involved and the flop misses you. If sb bets and bb calls on the flop, does anyone fold here? According to an article written by Jason Pohl on pokerpages.com he advocates folding overcards in multiway action due to domination factors, etc. I can see how the pot is big enough to justify calling heads up, but three way action is maybe a different story.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FLOP:
rainbow and misses me completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think part of the problem stems from the fact you posted the hand like this.

Specifically, what was the flop? suits and all?

Adam
Old 07-03-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any board on which I can fold at any point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Board texture is an area in which I am clueless. I am curious as to what type of texture, if any, might allow me to fold. I thought posting the specific flop cards would restrict the discussion to a yes/no answer. Can you offer any input on this?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 07-03-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any board on which I can fold at any point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Board texture is an area in which I am clueless. I am curious as to what type of texture, if any, might allow me to fold. I thought posting the specific flop cards would restrict the discussion to a yes/no answer. Can you offer any input on this?

Thanks,
Cartman

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to say, and perhaps the actual cards may not have any relevance in this situation. However, it's a good habit to develop for all hands: analyze the texture of the board for each and every hand... think about what your opponent(s) could hold, given their action and tendencies....

Here, when you say, "I have AK and flop missed me completely" .... J,9,8 is a very different flop from 2,4,8 ... know what I mean?

Adam