Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 05:16 PM

Default about Mormons

I've seen this brought up a few times on here and for the most part avoided the discussions.

I grew up going to an LDS church untilt the age of about 17 when I stopped going pretty much all together. I do however still retain much what was tought to me in my youth and much of my family still actively attends.

I know there are many misconceptions out because I have read them. For the purposes of this thread ask any questions of things you have heard or what not and I will try my best to explain what is really tought and why, if I can.

I am not going to try and defend the mormon church or get into a pissing match over what your friend who was mormon told you. If you had a bad experience or something I'm sorry. Also I am not got to bother trying to prove or agrue with you whether god exists or not. That is David's job. I understand many of you think religeon is silly but really I don't care either way.

Feel free to start with the underwear because I think that is weird as well.

also I didn't go to the SMP forum because I am hoping for a more light hearted thread talking about funny underwear and such.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: about Mormons

[ QUOTE ]
Feel free to start with the underwear because I think that is weird as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

umm ok

Well I have a question. What is up with that guy who found that magic decoder ring? Is he more important than jeebus?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:23 PM

So. If I'm Mormon and good and die, do I really get my own planet filled with virgins? If so, where does my wife go?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So. If I'm Mormon and good and die, do I really get my own planet filled with virgins? If so, where does my wife go?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there absolutely nothing like that. The bed rock of the Mormon religeon is that families are eternal and this is the prime reward for living a good life and going to Heaven.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:29 PM

How accurate is the south park episode thats explains mormans???

All About the Mormons
Old 07-03-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well I have a question. What is up with that guy who found that magic decoder ring? Is he more important than jeebus?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Story goes like this, Joseph Smith was left feeling lacking from the various churches he was presented with. He then went and prayed to god, basically saying I feel as though none of these churches are true (as in one with god) God comes to him and basically says you're right, let me show you the right way. An angel leads J.S to the golden plates which can be translated into the Book or Mormon. Back in the day or Mormon I guess, English was not used, thus the plates needed to be translated, God provided Joseph Smith with the tool to do this translation. I don't remember what it was called.

Asking if Joseph Smith is more important than Jesus would be like asking a Catholic if the Pope is more important than Jesus. If that helps.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How accurate is the south park episode thats explains mormans???

All About the Mormons

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the episode and for the most part is was accurate as long as you allow for the fact that it was used for humor and not meant to be a strict interpretation. My brother who does go to church saw it and thought it was pretty funny.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:35 PM

How does BYU keep their football players from drinking booze and banging white girls? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If so, where does my wife go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:36 PM

Can I really not go into a mormon church without bein a member?

If I were a mormon and wanted to attend a service not at my "home" church, is there some sort of card or something to get into another church?