Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Need your guys advice.. (interesting post, honest)

Ok, I've been thinking about this a lot and am still not sure for various reasons.

To clarify who I am a bit, I'm doing a degree (Business and management) and I work part time. The whole point of this post is to establish if I should be working part time. I was going to post this in general but I thought I would benefit more from the advice of those who have the most experience with SSNL. I've been playing poker since the age of 16 (21 now) and have pretty much always been a big fan of it, starting off home games around my area and such..

Anyhow, I started playing SSNL online for the first time around about the start of febuary. Since then I've made about $4-5k (including bonus's) over 80k hands or so. This sum is a substantial amount more than what I would expect to make at my part time job, which is hideously boring. My question to you guys is, should I just quit my job?

The only good reasons I can see for not quitting are:

1. The perks of having a job that requires little to no effort (working for the general merchandise department), job security and hardly any responsibility.

2. My sample size (80k) isn't sufficient enough? I'm really not sure on this one.

3. Trying to tell people I play poker for income.. I've thought about this one and it just seems weird. To my poker playing friends, they can understand how I am able to make the money that I do online, but to the others and any other people I could potentially meet, I'm not sure how they would react to it.

4. I should quit my job but find another one, for reasons other than money i.e. meeting new people while still doing a degree, although this one isn't so important in as much as I have good friends and a liver damaging social life (like most other students do! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Anyhow comparing the two amounts over the 5 months, roughly; £2500 playing poker (something i love) against, £1500 working (12 hours a week and something I hate), should I:

A. Quit my job and play poker for part time income.

B. Establish a broader sample to prove to myself that I am definitely playing winning poker.

C. Find a new job for reasons other than money.

Grateful for any insightful responses.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Need your guys advice.. (interesting post, honest)

you shouldn't quite your job for 3 reasons i can think of in 30 seconds:

1) you have seniority, if u ever need to get another job it'll be hell and u can't dick around.

2) do you really wanna take $ out of ur account to pay for bills when u have a job that will do that for you?

3) poker has risk of ruin. jobs do not (unless u lose a limb).
Old 07-01-2005, 12:09 PM

Another consideration is that, if you get a regular job of some sort, you've actually got something to put on your resume that might help you get a full-time future job that you really want.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:21 PM

Fast forward two years.

Employer: I noticed you worked part time for a while then quit. What did you do besides study in your final years of college?

I say find a better job.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you shouldn't quite your job for 3 reasons i can think of in 30 seconds:

1) you have seniority, if u ever need to get another job it'll be hell and u can't dick around.

2) do you really wanna take $ out of ur account to pay for bills when u have a job that will do that for you?

3) poker has risk of ruin. jobs do not (unless u lose a limb).

[/ QUOTE ]

1. True.

2. If I can make more money playing poker, yes.

3. Poker is seemingly more lucrative and I am quite risk averse with BR management.

[ QUOTE ]
Another consideration is that, if you get a regular job of some sort, you've actually got something to put on your resume that might help you get a full-time future job that you really want.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got me on that one, maybe I should just get another job.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fast forward two years.

Employer: I noticed you worked part time for a while then quit. What did you do besides study in your final years of college?

I say find a better job.

[/ QUOTE ]

whip out a printout of ur PT stats and show him how much you've made and bowl him over with jargon about bb/100. see what he thinks then.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:31 PM

one last thing, with playing poker online all the time is you have -EV situations in real life. these include, but are not limited to

women
social contracts/gatherings
appointments
drinking

all of these and more inhibit how much u can make in a given night. Women especially..
Old 07-01-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one last thing, with playing poker online all the time is you have -EV situations in real life. these include, but are not limited to

women
social contracts/gatherings
appointments
drinking

all of these and more inhibit how much u can make in a given night. Women especially..

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, this is an annoying factor.

Anyhow about the CV thing, I just remembered why i had discarded this in my mind, I'm doing a degree for another year or so..

Pot Emp: So what did you do for work between that year and this?

Me: Studied hard, dissertations aren't easy.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 PM

Do you really think an employer will be impressed by someone who gambled for a living (win or not) instead of doing something useful with their time? Poker is a useless activity.

To the average employer it hints at irresponsibility, immaturity and laziness. JMO.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:44 PM

it depends on the employer I think.