Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 12:10 AM

Default HU on the river: How would yall play it?

First off I am having hell putting my HH into the converter (pokerroom) so I hope the lack of pictoral suits doesn't turn anyone away.

.25/.50 (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Ac 4d (First hand in, had to post blind)
UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero checks, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB folds, BB checks

Flop6.5 SB)Qc Ad 8s (6 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero bets, CO calls, UTG+2 calls.
(I bet to see where I was at)

Turn4.75 BB) 5d (3 players)
UTG+2 Checks, Hero bets, CO folds, UTG+2 calls.

(No one had yet shown strength so I felt that my hand was still best. At this time I couldn't narrow UTG+2's hand hand down to much. I was thinking he might have (9d, 10d), (Kd, 10d) an 8 or a weak queen.)

River: (6.75 BB) Qh (2 players)
UTG+2 checks, Hero?????

Here is the issue I am inquiring about, checking or betting. betting sounds reasonable because the hands he could have been drawing with obiously missed and he may make a crying call, but I have no read on this player what so ever. I like to get value out of my hands so a bet seems like a good call considering the looseness of people playing .25/.50. On the otherhand, the TOP chapter on heads up on the end popped in my mind. If I do bet what will he call me with? If he raises I will make the call. Still I have seen enough hands checked on the end that could have been value bet against loose callers. This was my thinking, I will post the result and action in another post.

How should I have played it?

Also, feel free to criticize any others plays that I made. I need all the advice I can get.

<font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>
Old 09-23-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: HU on the river: How would yall play it?

I don't see any actual plays you made. You bet your hand. Nice job.

On the river, I'd value bet this and call a check raise.

You really should only post outside of the blinds in the CO. MP1 I'm waiting for the BB.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:45 AM

This situation is one of the easier in HE. "If it's checked to you on the end, you have to be sure you have the best hand 55% of the time YOU ARE CALLED for your bet to be correct." Sklansky

Let's look - All str8's and flushes are busted. Let's give a CALLER credit for one pair on the flop. 8 Q or A.
9 - A hands, 9 - Q hands, 9 - 8 hands possible (that aren't PP or 2 pair hands [which would have raised the turn]).
You lose to 4 - A hands 9 - Q hands
You win 9 - 8 hands
You halve 5 - A hands

That's only a 33% win rate if the villian is enough of a muppet to call with an 8. NOT ENOUGH for a bet.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are we calling a check raise? Do you really think it's a bluff or a lower pair 10% of the time?

Just check behind and show down your top pair no kicker.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are we calling a check raise? Do you really think it's a bluff or a lower pair 10% of the time?

Just check behind and show down your top pair no kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I forgot to look at pot size.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:02 AM

Ok I see that this was a no brainer now. I in facted checked behind. UTG+2 showed a (10h, Kc) for a missed a gutshot. So I took down the pot.

What made me post this hand, was to see some thoughts about playing a marginal hand like this would be. For starters I never thought posting away from the BB or CO was a problem. I remember reading that you should post when you arrive at a table (loose small stakes game), but I am assuming that adviced applies to live games.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember reading that you should post when you arrive at a table (loose small stakes game), but I am assuming that adviced applies to live games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you're not playing 8 tables, waiting for the BB allows you to absorb the flavour of the table for a few hands, but it's very much personal preference. Some consider it rude not to post when you take your seat live, but those same people often consider it rude to leave with your winnings after a big hand [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It's a bit dependent on the culture of the place - at my local nobody bats an eye if you wait.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:09 AM

I would also check this behind. If I had A8+ maybe, I think I'd be more inclined to bet it.

As far as posting, I saw the numbers worked out once. Whether they were correct or not, I'm not sure. But you just lose a slight bit of EV posting in different spots other than the CO or BB. It's not that big a deal, but I wait for the BB or post in CO anyway. You could pay the BB and get a garbage hand like 10-2o, of course you could also get Aces.

OTOH, I think posting in UTG and UTG+2 is a BIG mistake, as all you'd have to wait is one or two hands.