Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Annoying Beginners Query

You guys probably get this a lot but I have to ask anyways. I play lots of NLHE which I get burnt out on, have been playing a lot of TD lately which is a great vacation really but I want to add another game, I feel fresh when I'm learning something new.

So basically, how profitable are the baby (.25/.50, .5/1,$ 1$/2$) stud hi games online? I thought about going back to PLO or O8 but Id rather avoid flop games. I've seen some pretty loose play on UB but it seemed much more crazy than I could see being average. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Thanks for your time.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Annoying Beginners Query

I can't win stud high online at any limit I've tried, but Stud/8 is easily beatable up to 3/6 at party for a solid amount (I average 8BB/100, small 2.5k sample). If you can stand to avoid some +EV situations (ie high pairs that don't improve to trips by 5th), losing sessions are very rare. Zee's hi/lo split book and this forum is all you need.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the input. I originally was contemplating stud instead of stud8 because I thought it would be a little easier, interesting.

Any thoughts on why you didn't beat stud hi? Bad run, chasers, games too tight?

Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:17 PM

I don't think I have the required patience. I try playing as correctly as I know how, but never seem to catch as well as in S/8.

Plus people are a little more apt to build pots in split games, especially at the low limits I play ($1/2-$3/6).
Old 06-30-2005, 09:45 PM

If you want to play stud high online, at the limits you're talking about, make sure you play at the right site. Party tends to have a higher ante, which I don't like, because I'd rather sit back and wait. In a high ante game you've got to mix it up more. If you're an action player though it might be what you're looking for.

I haven't played there, but I hear that Stars has a good ante structure. Bodog's structure isn't bad, but you can't always find a game.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:54 PM

in terms of Xbb/100, yes. they'll be profitable and easy. i prefer playing in baby stud8 games and you might wanna try that.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:56 PM

Since you play NL holdem you might like to try PL 7 stud card on prima. They have .25c/.50c no ante with $10 avg pots if you want to start low.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:08 PM

I personally wouldn't play any lower then 1/2 unless it's on Paradise (no ante) or Stars (fair ante) because the antes are usually too high. I play 3/6 and 5/10 stud high and stud8 and the games are very beatable (and now some 2/4). The 1/2 on the crypto skins is a good game.

If you take the time to learn stud it will benefit your flop game play substantially (in my experience).
Old 06-30-2005, 11:30 PM

"Annoying Beginners Query"

This is the stud forum, you don't have to preface a reasonable post with such a statement. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum.

Now, if you had a four of a kind, and you were asking us if you should fold... Then we might have a problem!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The 1/2 on the crypto skins is a good game.

[/ QUOTE ]

shhhhhhhh [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]