Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Hand from the tourney

I was torn on what to do on 6th. Replaying the hand, I'm thinking I should either fold 5th or call to the river if I catch good on 6th. I think his catching another low on 6th was the deciding factor for me to fold because now I'm worried about a straight. Folding 5th left me with 1029 in chips.

Thoughts?

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level V (100/200), Ante 15, Bring-In 25 (hand converter)

Seat 2: 284
Seat 3: 2,508
Seat 4: 1,140
Seat 5: 1,630
Seat 6: 2,602
Seat 7: 1,701
Hero: 1,369

3rd Street - (1.05 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (1.55 SB)

Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (1.78 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (3.78 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds

Total pot: (3.78 BB)

Results:
Total pot 755
Old 06-28-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Hand from the tourney

Was this against me? It looks familiar.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was this against me? It looks familiar.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was rgarling. You were at the table though, in Seat 4.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:48 PM

I'd making a cry call against rgarling.

His pf_to_4th must have been in the 50s
Old 06-29-2005, 08:31 AM

Calling is the perfect antidote for a bluff, and I was running near 50% to 4th for a while, so calling me down would have been appropriate.

I don't remember this particular hand, but will get the hand history and look up the hole cards. I'm guessing I had a made low with a draw to a straight.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:52 AM

Once you get the A you are playing this hand for your stack. Period. No discussion. You are not deep enough to consider anything else

4th is good

Not raising 5th is a crime. The reason its a crime is that you can't fold. And if you can't fold you need to maximize the % of the time you survive this hand. And cr-ing 5th will let your opponent know 2 things. 1. You are serious about this hand. 2. You probably weren't bluffing the A on 4th.

You have got maximize fold equity here.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:26 PM

I think raising fourth would have been a good play. At that point you have two aces and a six which eliminates three of his possible straight cards. On fifth, check-calling is probably a good play. There's a possibly that you're beat by a straight but it doesn't seem very likely. On sixth, your opponents board is slightly scary. However, you caught a seven which takes away another straight card. You have four of your opponents straight cards, and another low could give you a small shot at the low half. Probably the only straight to fear would be the 2 to 6. I almost think that you have to call sixth and seventh, but I don't have a read on this player. Since you were playing, your read was most likely much more accurate.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:14 PM

OK. Here is how it looked from my seat. I bet 5th because it looked like you got a brick, and I have a scary board forming. Once I start that, I don't like to stop unless raised (and my 6s look live too).

Of course, taking a line like that killed me later in the tournament when I was pushing a flush against mikeskags' baby full house (that was hidden as far as I can remember). I'm going to find that hand and post it.
=============

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level V (100/200), Ante 15, Bring-In 25 (hand converter)

Seat 2: 284
Seat 3: 2,508
Seat 4: 1,140
Seat 5: 1,630
Hero: 2,602
Seat 7: 1,701
Seat 8: 1,369

3rd Street - (1.05 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (1.55 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (1.78 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (3.78 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds

Total pot: (3.78 BB)
Old 06-29-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once you get the A you are playing this hand for your stack. Period. No discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps indulge me in one anyway? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

You are not deep enough to consider anything else

[/ QUOTE ]
If I had a larger stack (say equal to my opponent), how could I potentially alter my play here?[ QUOTE ]

4th is good

Not raising 5th is a crime. The reason its a crime is that you can't fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting because I hadn't even considered a raise on 5th after catching a brick and him catching another low. I had read him as moderately aggressive and pushing some semi-marginal hands, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a hand here. But I knew he'd bet 5th no matter what his hole cards were.
I couldn't help but think I was getting freerolled on 5th and especially 6th, making my Aces and low draw not look so great.

I'll acknowledge one of my weakest tournament skills is playing with a medium-small stack as I still tend to wait for premium-type hands while the antes eat me up.

[ QUOTE ]
And if you can't fold you need to maximize the % of the time you survive this hand. And cr-ing 5th will let your opponent know 2 things. 1. You are serious about this hand.
2. You probably weren't bluffing the A on 4th.
You have got maximize fold equity here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't see what these two things gain me. Since he's in the hand he's got at least 4 to a low and even then I can't see him folding to a check-raise on 5th and/or to a bet if he bricks on 6th.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:59 PM

I was going to the river here. I felt I was ahead on low and had a good chance to scoop. The actual situation is summed up here by 2 dimes:

pokenum -7s8 6c ad 2h ah qc 7h - 4d 7c 5s 8d 4c 2c / 4h 4s tc 7d 8c
7-card Stud Hi/Low 8-or-better: 1190 enumerated outcomes
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
Qc 6c Ad Ah 7h 2h 126 901 289 0 200 106 0 0.463
5s 7c 4c 2c 8d 4d 215 289 901 0 990 200 0 0.537