Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Why can\'t Jesse May write?

"The only shame, in my mind, is that there’s not an audience to match. I mean even though the three rowed bleachers surrounding the final table are occupied and there’s ESPN cameras all around, even though they’re playing for a $1.5 million prize pool and you have Gabe Kaplan at the table just eating camera time like it’s a submarine sandwich, even though you have a new look Annie Duke with smiles and fast play and a walk-down-the-table hug for Young Phan when he gets done in by a three outer, I say even though you have all the drama and interlude that any sport sweeping the minds of America should have, for some reason the crowd and atmosphere is not set to match. And despite the many claims I heard of people in the stands promising they were “gonna get rowdy” and “let’s hear it” and this and that, the loudest it ever got in the whole room was cheers and a round of applause for Card Player chief Barry Shulman after he stood up on his bench and called for the jack of hearts to come down and seal his son’s hand on the turn, and it did. But Barry Shulman never needed a drink to speak his mind about anything."

That is a long-ass sentence with too little content.
Source
Old 07-01-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Why can\'t Jesse May write?

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't Jesse May write?

[/ QUOTE ]

He can't speak either.

"What we have here, is a failure to communicate"

Regards Mack
Old 07-01-2005, 09:00 AM

It's called creative writing. What did you want, a hand history?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:41 AM

If you think that's bad you should read his book 'Shut Up & Deal' ---- it's really just one run-on sentence over 180+ pages. (that being said, I did like the book [if for no other reason than it's about poker])
Old 07-01-2005, 12:14 PM

As far as poker writer go, Jesse May is second only to Tommy Angelo. Read Shut Up and Deal. It is a great poker book.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:56 PM

How about this quote from Shut Up and Deal :

"Poker is a combination of luck and skill. People think mastering the skill part is hard, but they're wrong. The trick to poker is mastering the luck. That's philosophy. Understanding luck is philosophy, and there are some people who aren't ever gonna fade it."

Good enough for you?
Old 07-01-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Poker is a combination of luck and skill. People think mastering the skill part is hard, but they're wrong. The trick to poker is mastering the luck. That's philosophy. Understanding luck is philosophy, and there are some people who aren't ever gonna fade it."

[/ QUOTE ]

That and many other gems are reasons I like Jesse May's writting but the quote at the top of the thread is a bit rough. Where did it come from? I'm on a dail-up connection for the month so my surfing is a bit slow.

If 'Shut Up and Deal" is in anyway autobiographical for Jesse, keep in mind, he might smoke quite a bit. That could take up his editing time if he's posting same day blog reports.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:14 PM

I concur.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:31 PM

Default That book was almost unreadable.

Ya, it had some great passages in it, such as the one mentioned, but there were sentences that had to have had 300 words in them. Couldn't he afford an editor?
Ken
Old 07-01-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: That book was almost unreadable.

“ … there were sentences that had to have had 300 words in them. Couldn't he afford an editor?”

Maybe he had the same editor as Thomas Jefferson.

Here are the first and next-to-last sentences of the DOI:

When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do.