Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 04:21 AM

Default why are the pros cleaning up so much?

the pros are dominating this years wsop. there's been so many big name winners - chan, seidel, seif, cunningham, arieh, todd brunson, cloutier, greenstein...

what is going on? how are they able to fight through these huge fields? i thought everyone said it wouldn't happen like this and it would just be random amateurs taking the bracelets home. what have the pros figured out?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: why are the pros cleaning up so much?

Because amateurs have no clue how to play post flop?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:28 AM

nice ass
Old 06-28-2005, 04:36 AM

I don't think 'pros' are doing any better this year than in past years. It's just that there are many more 'household' names this year.

Last year guys like Ram Vaswani, Gavin Smith, David Williams, Josh Arieh, The Grinder, Scott Fischman, etc were 'no name' players. Now they are "pros".

Nobody is losing there "name" or "pro" status. But lots are gaining such status. As the fields grow, the number of recognizable names grows as well.

Makes perfect sense.

Josh
Old 06-28-2005, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think 'pros' are doing any better this year than in past years. It's just that there are many more 'household' names this year.

Last year guys like Ram Vaswani, Gavin Smith, David Williams, Josh Arieh, The Grinder, Scott Fischman, etc were 'no name' players. Now they are "pros"

Nobody is losing there "name" or "pro" status. But lots are gaining such status. As the fields grow, the number of recognizable names grows as well.

Makes perfect sense.

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

The people winning are not pros who became famous during the poker boom we are experienceing, Chan, Greenstein, Cunningham, Seif, these are real pros. And besides, Ram Vaswani, Josh Arieh, The Grinder and Fischman are pro, they rely solely on poker for income, that's what a pro is.

Pro's are killing the world series. I think it's because they simply outplay the non-pros by alot more than people expected, and they are more accustomed to the endurance and stamina requirements of a 2 day event, which most people underestimate.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:59 AM

I'm sure the Pro's are adjusting there game and getting better.

They are learning new ways to adapt and beat the new players at the table.

There will always be waves of new theory's and styles of play that catch on like fads.. Give the Pro's enough time and they will evolve and crush the new theories.

It's why guys like Doyle Brunson and TJ Cloutier still reach final tables year after year after year..

I'm glad to see the resurgence of Johnny Chan.. He seemed to have gotten crushed by the "New Game" over the last few years and had trouble adapting..

It appears that he has a solved the fish puzzle and is on the top of his game, (which is good for Poker!)

I love seeing these Pro's dominate the "Newbies" again.. It gives the game alot more respect and integrity, and truly acknowledges it as a "Skill Game!"
Old 06-28-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are learning new ways to adapt and beat the new players at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2005, 09:33 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

Are you kidding me? It's because the majority of players are easy to read. If I'm a pro with excellent player-reading skills, and I hold 8/9 suited and see a flop and don't hit anything, but I know YOU didn't hit anything, I can push you off and build my stack easily.

It is unreal how strong a skill player-reading is in NL Hold 'Em tournaments, it's even more important (in my opinion) than math/odds.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:03 AM

I haven't looked, but I imagine a fair number of these tourneys still contain a rather large percentage of pros. Most of the non-pros I know are playing one or two events, usually LHE or NLHE medium-non-rebuy events.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:12 AM

they've been practicing on stars hubble no limit hold em freeroll.