Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 02:13 PM

Default TT hand

Hello all,

Here is a hand I played a few nights ago and have wondered about. Maybe it is simply a routine play but I would like any thoughts on it, especially the turn and river as I was confused as to what the proper play should have been while I was at the table.....The table is pretty typical loose table at 2-4 online

I have T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] and check after 2 EP limpers the button and Sb limp.

The flop comes J[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] The SB bets and I raise. The second EP cold calls and it gets folded to the SB who only calls.

The turn is A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] SB bets again. I call and EP calls. Is there a case for raising here?

River is K [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] SB checks.

Do you check/fold, check call, bet and call a raise/checkraise, bet as the last money you put into the pot?

Allan
Old 01-31-2003, 02:27 PM

Default Re: TT hand

Bet and call an unlikely raise. I can't see why the sb would check the Q [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img], and I would not be very concerned given EP's passive play.

I would check and call if EP were aggressive, but that doesn't seem to be the case given the way this hand was played.

Old 01-31-2003, 02:34 PM

Interesting hand,

I would check pre-flop, raising maybe one time in 5. WHen the small blind bets into my set, I think I would smooth call waiting for the turn, or if the 3rd player raises then re-raise.

When the flush card comes on the turn I would call as you did.

On the river I think I would bet. I am learning to make these river bets and not fear the worst. If you get raised I think you can fold.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:21 PM

Pre-flop: Sometimes I raise, sometimes I call in this scenario.

Flop: I'd call here and raise the turn unless another diamond comes.

Turn: I'd call as you did. If I didn't have a diamond, I'd raise.

River: I'd bet and call a raise.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:41 PM

Bet and don't even dream of folding for one more. You may get raised/CR'ed, but under no circumstances does that mean someone has the Qd.

Put yourself in their shoes, and how you played all the previous streets. Is there any reason they should think you have a big diamond (which the Td certainly is in this case)? You may very well get CR'ed by a smaller diamond or a pure bluff.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:55 PM

Allan, I think you made the best plays on the flop and turn. On the river your opponents are likely holding hands (2 pair, straight, etc.) that will call a bet with 4 diamonds on board but will not bet themselves. I think this is a clear value bet. I would not fold to a raise with that strong of a hand in a decent pot.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:09 PM

Preflop, I would raise from the BB against four limpers, too much equity with this hand. If you aren't raising with TT in the BB you make yourself easy to read when you do raise.

I'd play the flop the same way, play trips and two pair fast when there are two broadway cards on the flop and a flush draw.

I would raise the turn, you could still be best and if you aren't you may have up to 18 outs.

Betting on the river is mandatory, you have the second nut hand. If raised, folding shouldn't be an option. You may want to reraise if EP raises, but just call if checkraised by the SB (depending on the players).
Old 01-31-2003, 04:09 PM

On the flop, the board is coordinated, and you have likely the best hand. I would raise here nearly every time. The players that are dangerous to you, are going to call, and you hope that they don't catch up.

On the turn, you know that you are going to call, you still have 10 outs, if you are still behind. I think that raising is a good choice here, there are extra ways to lose this hand, if you are not already behind, and you might be able to eliminate the third player, or at least charge them for their draws. It is also possible that SB has something like AT, and has made two pair here, and doesn't want to give anyone a free chance at a 1 card flush. I would raise, and call if raised.

On the river, it depends, three handed, if the small blind bets, I would probably call. If EP raised, and the SB called, I would fold.

If checked to me, I would bet, and if raised, call, but I don't think that I would overcall, unless both of my opponents were tricky.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Old 01-31-2003, 04:12 PM

Default Oops.

I missed that I hold the Ten of Diamonds.

No way am I going to fold. I definately raise the turn, and I bet and call 1 raise on the river, if it is raised and reraised back to me, I think I am beat.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:44 PM

I think a river reraise in this spot is a waste of chips....

Allan