Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Paired Ace vs. PFR OOP

Just read the "Typical Situation" post from this week's digest (thanks a ton for that service!), and here's an actual hand. I checked intending to c/r the PFR. In retrospect, I probably should have bet, hoping for a raise to clear the field, but here we are. Now what? What if I had bet and he raised?

Villain was 18/4/1.38 over 50 hands. Does your answer change if he's completely unknown?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero ?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Paired Ace vs. PFR OOP

Just raise preflop next time. Postflop decisions will be much much easier.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-28-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just read the "Typical Situation" post from this week's digest (thanks a ton for that service!), and here's an actual hand. I checked intending to c/r the PFR. In retrospect, I probably should have bet, hoping for a raise to clear the field, but here we are. Now what? What if I had bet and he raised?

Villain was 18/4/1.38 over 50 hands. Does your answer change if he's completely unknown?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck it. MP1 leads into a PFR who is not overly aggressive, and it's two bets back to you. Most likely we are up against AQ or AK and in that case we are drawing to two clean outs (J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is tainted). PFR doesn't seem out of line, and you have bad position on the turn in a likely 3-handed pot.

against an unknown I would play the same way. I would only 3-bet someone who is LAGgy, and I would need a read on the person in between us.

I would also either fold pre-flop AJo or raise it depending on table condition, leaning heavier on folding with no table reads.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:08 PM

Let me preface this post with a small piece of on AJ: In your typical small stakes game, its safe (and right) to raise it preflop. However, you need to play this hand with caution, esp. if you have a LP TAG cold calling two bets.

That being said, raising PF makes this hand much easier. Even how you played it I'm leading the flop. There's alot of different combos your ahead of right now from those two, and alot your behind to. Lead the flop and re-eval if its two bets back to you.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:09 PM

I think I can agree with this. Ironically, I just this morning ran across the WWJR (What would Jesus raise?) thread. Perhaps this is a sign from the Almighty that I should start being more agressive with AJo. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 02:11 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

[ QUOTE ]
Just raise preflop next time. Postflop decisions will be much much easier.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe not much easier, but you will have an idea of where you are at and hopefully you would achieve limiting the field to the flop(which is important for a hand like AJo which really only has high card potential; lacking suitedness/connectedness the other two factors of making a quality starting hand, anyway i digress)and if reraised you know who to be wary of and depending on the flop texture play accordingly. I bet out here, but this is what I HATE about AJo esp. OOP, because AK, AQ completely dominate you. depending on the game, if it is particularly tough or against a tough opponents raise, i fold AJo in EP.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I can agree with this. Ironically, I just this morning ran across the WWJR (What would Jesus raise?) thread. Perhaps this is a sign from the Almighty that I should start being more agressive with AJo. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe I missed that post! Thanks for linking!