Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 02:04 AM

Default AKs, in the spirit of the overcards talk tonight

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

sb was tricky and fairly solid, but I could never rule out him making a move on the pot if he felt that I missed, like I did here. basically I raised the turn here becuase I thought that I was good. I really felt that he would CR me if he really had hit, or had a PP here that was in the range of this flop. my river bet I felt was for value
Old 06-28-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Re: AKs, in the spirit of the overcards talk tonight

My best guess is that SB made a pair of 7s. Or he's just donking. I'd check behind on the river. Is that weak?
Old 06-28-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My best guess is that SB made a pair of 7s. Or he's just donking. I'd check behind on the river. Is that weak?

[/ QUOTE ]

my reason for the turn bet is two fold. It is for value in that with the completion and the late position poster checking, my raising range right there is pretty wide. I figured that he could call me with a 7, but he could also call me with a Big Ace that I had beat, or a hand like KQs or KJs. It wouldn't be unreasonable consiering my aggressive image that a hands like AK-A9 would be good there, and that KQ and KJ might be good too, since I could've raised with a hand like QJs, K10s, even Q10s or 109s. I will take actions like those of the players as weakness, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for me to make a raise with a wide range, since really its a bit of a blind steal situation.

I also want to bet on the river to get a small pair to fold since I am representing at worst a 7, and possibly a PP higher than the board
Old 06-28-2005, 02:24 AM

I can see villain calling with a worse Ace here. I think my view is being skewed by the fact that a lot of people will donkbet a hand thats improved by the turned, whether it be bottom pair or a monster. Then again a lot of people will donkbet the turn hoping that you just give up and fold.

If this is the type of player to calldown with A-high, K-high then go for it.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my river bet I felt was for value

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should stop listening to your feelings.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:54 AM

check/call that river man.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my river bet I felt was for value

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should stop listening to your feelings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, betting is just wacky. Sure he might call with like an AQ of spades, but at least 80% of the time, he's going to have a pair when he calls. It's certainly not a bluff, either, because he simply will not fold any pair, in my opinion.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:58 AM

you really think that when he donks the turn, calls a raise, and calls a river bet, he has A high or worse more than 55% of the time? I find that hard to believe. Most of the time he will have a pair, and will call you with it always. If you caught him with a worse A this time, I think you got lucky. Turn raise might be good though.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its not weak. I probably fold the turn.

If he was semi-bluffing/bluffing the turn, he either got there or he didn't. I don't see him calling a worse hand.

Keith,

If you really think your hand is good, I would just call the turn and river UI. The pot's not big enough to try and get him to fold 6 outs. Let him bluff.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:54 AM

The bet on the flop is fine. The raise on the turn is crazy. The bet on the river is suicide.

That's the type of board where if he's a got a little piece of it, some little pair, it looks good and he is going to play it down.

If anything, if you really think you're good, call the turn, call the river.

But in the SB's eyes, everyone folds to some guy who posted (probably has a crap hand) so you raise wanting to steal the SB's money AND the poster's (THE NERVE!) So he's going to call with his little A9o A7o and then when he catches a pair he's going to look you up. If he has a smaller Ace-high then fine, but don't get too aggressive here.