Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Roy Cooke\'s article in current CardPlayer

If you haven't read it, the article was written as an open letter to Doyle Brunson. One section of his article really jumped out at me:

[ QUOTE ]
You understand the poker economy far better than most people who are reaping the benefits of it today. Although the scale is different, the principle remains the same: As the weak players go broke or just give up, the game dries up. When I first started playing Internet poker, the typical pot in most $15-$30 games was around $250, with $300 not being uncommon; in $20-$40 games, pots were regularly $500 and more. Today, the pots are half that size. The money in the low and middle limits, which are the base of the poker pyramid, is starting to shrink. People are stepping down and stepping out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering if other online players have noticed the same things as Mr. Cooke, in terms of less fish and smaller pots. I play primarily $11 and $22 SNG's, and I've noticed them tightening up lately, with more conservative play in the 1st 3 levels and more players left at level 4.

My feeling is that the current easiness of the games is simply impossible to sustain (and they are probably already getting harder). The Darwinian nature of poker is designed to force the losing players out eventually. Most losing players will only bang their heads against a wall for so long before they pack it in.

To the pros who have been playing online for a while - do you find that you have to work harder today to win, than you did, say a year ago?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Roy Cooke\'s article in current CardPlayer

While I am far from being a pro I HAVE noticed the 11's and 22's becoming harder. I was glad to see your post because I thought I was perhaps imagining it. It's not uncommon now in the 11's to get to level 4 with 7 or 8 players still in the game. Of course that means Level 5 and 6 with 5 - 7 players left. Makes it much tougher. I plan on staying and learing as much as I can about the game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 10:30 AM

A couple of years ago it was stunning how passive the $5 $10 and $10 $20 6-max games were compared to now. Still, the addictive nature of the game, societies increasing propensity for slothful recreation, teen palyers coming of age and the fact that it takes a long time to become a truly competent player leads me to think that, although the games may not always be the pushover that they once were, the pond will nevertheless remain very fishable.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:31 AM

even if the games are harder they will still be betable for a long time, just ask the avg player how much he studies and spend time reading he will say he read a book or two. While any serious player is spending as much as 50% of his poker time studying, that means hours and hours of reading and thinking while your avg player read top once and learned everything else by trial and error, its been years since online poker started so now they are getting more experienced still they have no chance against an serious player
Old 06-28-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
even if the games are harder they will still be betable for a long time, just ask the avg player how much he studies and spend time reading he will say he read a book or two. While any serious player is spending as much as 50% of his poker time studying, that means hours and hours of reading and thinking while your avg player read top once and learned everything else by trial and error, its been years since online poker started so now they are getting more experienced still they have no chance against an serious player

[/ QUOTE ]

A quick glance at the generally dogshit advice dispensed in the small stakes section confirms this. One gets the impression that if you are not isolation raising a limper with A 6 and 3 betting 88 you are a losing player. Gotta love that!

The nonsensical aggression of the testosterone fuled young bucks is seriously + EV for the experienced player.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A quick glance at the generally dogshit advice dispensed in the small stakes section confirms this. One gets the impression that if you are not isolation raising a limper with A 6 and 3 betting 88 you are a losing player. Gotta love that!

The nonsensical aggression of the testosterone fuled young bucks is seriously + EV for the experienced player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct on both counts.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:09 PM

A short time ago I submitted Part I of a series in Card Player titled "It's a great party, but..."

It makes the same general Darwinian point that you and Roy are making. Many players are in for a rude shock. They think they play well, but their recent results are caused primarily by the weakness of the opposition.

The games will unquestionably get MUCH tougher, and LOTS of winning players will be unable to beat them.

There is one other point that will make the future tougher: Many rooms have raised their charges. The max rate has often gone up by 33%, an enormous increase.

The party isn't over yet, but no party lasts forever. When it ends, the games -- including the rooms' charges -- will be tougher than ever. The critical question for serious players is: Will you be foolish today and be forced to struggle tomorrow, or will you prepare in advance for tomorrow’s challenges?

Regards,

Al
Old 06-28-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They think they play well, but their recent results are caused primarily by the weakness of the opposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this totally Dr. Al. In fact, I acknowledge that my winning results are mainly due to the weak competition, not to any great play on my part.

Sometimes I watch people call me down to the river with something like J5 suited. As I rake in the pot I think to myself, "Would I be winning money if people like this guy weren't in the game? Probably not. Will this guy be in the game forever? Not unless he is a masochist."

I think a lot of other people take the same situation and think to themselves, "Look at me winning another pot. I am so good at this game. Once I build up my bankroll to x dollars I'm going to move up in limits and quit my job." Those are the ones who are in for a shock.

I'm trying to improve my game to the point where I can still be a winner even as the games get harder. I've still got a ways to go, but I'm confident I can do it. I'm not quitting my day job tho.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:22 PM

It will be interesting to watch those who focus their attention on digging for hidden "outs" and completing the SB with any two suited scratch their virtual heads in confusion as the "weak tighties" who cut their teeth on HEFAP and Middle Limit Holdem wipe out the profits said players once enjoyed as a result of Playerview, rakeback and weak competition.

Then again, maybe not. High Schools around the world are full of delusional kids with a grim future in store for them.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Hello,Revot! Micro limit Hol\'em seems to be VERY tight...

and MAYBE unbeatable. However,Micro limit stud is very profitable. I see VERY LITTLE tight play in my .25/.50 stud games.,the comparable limit in my hol'em games is VERy tight.
HappyPokering, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
SittingBull