Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 03:22 PM

Default I thought the switch from NL to limit would be easy...

I was wrong =p. i only played 7kish hands while 12 tabling the .5/1 game and had .67bb/100 and decided to move up to 1/2 6max and im getting spanked. Granted its only been 3k hands so i know its not sure to tell whether i suck or its bad cards. I think its been both, but im definatly not playing limit very well....at all... I was a better limit player way backbefore i started playing SNGs and NL ring games. Im so used to cleaning up the 25nl 6max game while 8 tabling making over 20$/hr that i had a hard time just 4 tabling the .5/1 game to learn limit, i thought if i just chagned a few things itw ould be no problem-o.

Not really sure what advice to ask for, i read miller's book a long time ago, im going to start re-reading it tommorow at B&N and im going to stick though this week on .5/1 then 2 weeks of .5/1 6 max (im glad they put that in) then i'll be back at 1/2 6 max if i do ok.

At first it looked like i would easily hit a 6k BR by my birthday (about a week away) now i'll probably need a fair MTT playing to make 5k. But hey, i screwed up, i've got to rework some things.

Not really sure what advice to ask for, just venting some, but any comments aside from 'quit now' are welcome. Its fair to say im not a quitter =P

any bets running as to who will be the first one to say 'quit now' just b/c i said not to? anyone?

thanks for reading,

galahad
Old 06-28-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: I thought the switch from NL to limit would be easy...

[ QUOTE ]
venting some, but any comments aside from 'quit now' are welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't miss hockey as much as I thought I would.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i only played 7kish hands while 12 tabling the .5/1 game and had .67bb/100 and decided to move up to 1/2 6max and im getting spanked

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, hahaha, you are just flipping all over the place. your BB is pretty sad for .5/1 limit, 12 tabling is a lot, and 1/2 6-max is a completely different game.

umm..try slowing down would be my suggestion.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:39 PM

If you were in public school they'd have you on Ritalin, I think.

Slow down... read... understand... play... repeat.

KO
Old 06-28-2005, 03:42 PM

1. small sample size, etc etc
2. post hands you had trouble with; better gauge of leaks/areas to work on
3. swings in limit > swings in NL

i read recently the SSNL FAQ tho, and saw that those guys cite 8BB/100 as reasonable for a "good player"?! makes me wonder if a bad player can manage maybe half that... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 03:56 PM

I am interested to know why you decided to change to limit after being a successful NL player. I suspect that the variance and bankroll requirement is a lot higher for NL.

I am sure that you should be able to make a successful transition to limit, but I agree that it has significant differences to NL. Notably that it is much more difficult to manipulate the odds that you offer your opponents, because you can no longer bet/raise as much as you like.

I think that books worth reading/studying include:

SSHE (which you already have)
GSIHE by Ed Miller
HEFAP by Sklansky & Malmuth
Weighing the Odds by King Yao

And as I am sure that you are already aware, posting and discussing hands which you have played here will help too. Thankfully there seem to be a number of very good limit players prepared to give helpful advice on this forum. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 04:39 PM

the main reason is multi-tabling.
I would never attempt to play more than 4 tables beyond the 25nl level and i figured once i got good enough 8 tabling a 2/4 game would be possible. And also the idea of betting 100 bucks on a single hand kinda scares me, i lost alot of money gambling before i switched to poker so im kind of risk adverse of going back down into any kind of hole. I just made back what i lost last week i want to keep grinding beyond that, and eventually put that 4.5k back into the bank and have my online BR be 100% profit, then i'll start making constant stabs upward after i prove myself at any given level

galahad
Old 06-28-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the main reason is multi-tabling.

[/ QUOTE ]
That and he has to study/review the proper strategies probably.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM

oh yeh, that is the /main/ reason.
i told myself, 'i wanna learn limit'

my ultimate goal is to play 3/6 15 hrs a week and 2 table the 200nl game 15 hrs.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:23 PM

Apart from what has been said above, no-limit and limit are two very different creatures, and playing successful no-limit might give you some "bad habits", limit-wise. I've experienced this after playing a lot of NL-tournaments, and then going back to limit. In these situations, I tend to over-value draws in limit, since I still live in the NL world of large implied odds. Don't know if this helps you at all, but might be something for someone to think about at least...