Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Isolation 3-bet preflop, fold top pair on turn.

MP1 has been raising about half his hands. BB is a calling station.

Is the preflop 3-bet ok? And how about the turn fold? (I think I'd call if it was the river, but maybe I shouldn't--this player's bets seem pretty trustworthy).

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 06-25-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Isolation 3-bet preflop, fold top pair on turn.

looks good to me, only other option would be to call flop and raise nonspade turn for a little more protection.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:03 PM

I 3-bet AQo as a matter of course. It's a strong hand. Against a maniac, push it for sure.

I play the rest the same.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet AQo as a matter of course. It's a strong hand. Against a maniac, push it for sure.

I play the rest the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes? I've been following standard SSH advice and folding it, although I've started 3-betting it against a loose raiser.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:10 PM

Opinion seems divided on the issue and I seem to be in the minority. Lately I've been choosing my spots for doing it more carefully. AJo is winning more than AQo for me in PT by a fair bit and I never play AJo that way, so perhaps I should tighten up my AQo 3-betting antics. But against a LAG, do it for sure because his range of hands is so wide.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:41 PM

Careful what you call "SSH advice". AQ is generally a fold behind a typical raiser. However, against a loose raiser, if you feel you can shut out the rest of the table, an iso 3-bet is great. Also, against a late position open-raiser, a 3-bet is good too.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Careful what you call "SSH advice". AQ is generally a fold behind a typical raiser. However, against a loose raiser, if you feel you can shut out the rest of the table, an iso 3-bet is great. Also, against a late position open-raiser, a 3-bet is good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, fair enough. Rather, I should say "I've been folding it to a raise, no matter what, and have started looking for spots to 3-bet instead."