Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Loosening Up?

Ever since I've read HoH 1&2 I have learned I need not be affraid to continue on when I have 2nd Pair (Not to get bullied). Normally in the Hand u will see below I would have folded right away on the flop...

Did I make the correct Moves and approprate bets and calls on each street?

Please feel free to critique me as hard as you deem nessary. Its the only way I will improve...

Just Sat down, 2nd hand no read on any players!

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($24.3)
UTG+2 :#A500AF(Villan)/ ($13.58)
MP1 ($23.1)
MP2 ($26.05)
MP3 ($25)
Hero ($25)
Button ($10.25)
SB ($2.7)
BB ($31.12)
UTG ($11.7)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 :#A500AF(Villan)/ calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks, Button calls $0.25, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villan bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2, Button folds, SB calls $2, BB folds.

Turn: ($7.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Villan checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, SB calls $0.45 (All-In), Villan calls $4.

River: ($15.70) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Villan checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, Villan calls $7.33 (All-In), Hero calls $2.33.

Final Pot: $30.36

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Qh 9s (one pair, nines).
Villan has 9h 7h (two pair, nines and sevens).
Hero has 9d Ad (two pair, aces and nines).
Outcome: Hero wins $30.36. </font>

Reasons for each move I did...
PREFLOP:
I know I should Have raised Since I had position and a good hand (Mistake #1) Just sitting down I wanted to get a feel for the tables post flop play, so unknowing of how the table plays, I just called.

FLOP:
This is where I am unsure of my play. I see villan over bet the pot, with his short money I feel he might be trying to pick up the pot right there. Thinking maybe my 2PTK (&amp; Backdoor Flush draw) might be best, I called. Any type of resistance on the Turn I was ready to MucK. Seat 8 didn't concern me since she was all in.

Turn: When Villan Checked to me, I felt he was either on a draw or TP w/ little kicker. I believe a 3/4bet would allow me to pick up the pot, if Villan felt he was behind. If he called to just make his draw, it would be the incorrect call to make (Pot Odds Wise), and if he were to go over-the-top all in, I could Muck My hand since I would be a 2:1 underdog.

River: When I rivered the Ace to make 2 pair, I went for a value bet (Not sure if this was a mistake where I could of just checked since board did make a Straight), When he went all in I had to call the $2.00

-Juggla
Old 06-23-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Loosening Up?

as you can see no one had a King.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I should Have raised Since I had position and a good hand (Mistake #1) Just sitting down I wanted to get a feel for the tables post flop play, so unknowing of how the table plays, I just called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I check too for this reason too.

The flop is an easy fold, you have 5 outs getting ~1.5:1 (the runner draw is pretty much useless due to the size of his stack). The board is pretty much drawless, there's 3 people after you and it's your first hand at the table.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:42 PM

I think it would be a better play if there are only 2 or 3 people in the hand, but with 5 people in the hand and at this level where people play any king-rag, I don't think it's that profitable.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:56 PM

WOW 5 players. Please disregard my previous post. I'm used to 6 max with much fewer players on the flop. Betting middle pair here is risky.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:30 AM

You just posted a good example of why you should never play second pair below $100NL.

You would have lost a decent sized pot (at least 25BB), had you not caught a 5 out (actually it was a 3 outer) miracle on the river and sucked out. That's a whole hour of profit for getting fancy with a trash hand. Treat second pair like A high, use it to steal a few pots but don't pretend you've got a hand when there's action.

This only applies to the lower levels of course where a lot of people see the flop.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please disregard my previous post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still can't figure out what your original post was saying.... "as you can see no one had a King."?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Please disregard my previous post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still can't figure out what your original post was saying.... "as you can see no one had a King."?

[/ QUOTE ]
He was scared to bet with an overcard on the board. In this case the overcard was a King. My point is that not every overcard will hit someone, as was the case in the hand he posted. However my post isn't valid though because I didn't pay attention to the fact it was full ring and 5 to flop.
:P
Old 06-24-2005, 02:24 AM

I don't like the flop call. This is not a draw heavy board, so what would villain overbet the flop with that you beat/have odds to call with? Villain may not always have 2 pair here, but I think he has at least a K the vast majority of the time.
Also, this pot is not HU, so it is even less likely that anyone here is making a move, and with this many people you really need a hand to continue.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:03 PM

With no read on your opponents, you fold. But if your opponent has a history of taking a stab at every pot, or plays weak cards, a raise is the only option, raise or fold.