Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Playing good in your environment

Ever since I have been playing I have read a lot of articles on math whiz kids making it big. Even amongst ICQ chat I hear about this person or that person being a poker genius. Started getting me worried that I don't have what it takes to make it to a big tournament. I am better than most at math, and have a really good sense for people but I am not the uberman of either science.

I started then thinking about pro players past and present. Many are math geniuses, some not. NOTS: Doyle, TJ, Phill H., Mike the mouth.

So I started believing that really you have to find your grove in any game. I hear of players 20 tabling, 8 tabling, 12 tabling. I can't even remotely close come to that. I am the opposite, 4 full tables at most, 2 SH tables.

I find my focus is better when I have less opponents to watch. I make correct plays on hands where mathematicaly they would not be earning or saving money. Just about everytime I make these judgement calls on the player. How long they took to think each street, how their mind would react to what I did, do they bluff, what hands will they bet, when do they raise.

I do really well in live games because I see so many tells in players that I can almost put them on their exact hand a good # of the times (assume a decent player with reasonable hands). Of course a player playing anything calling down with any remote hope of runner runnering you just can't be read. ie. 1/2 at Hardrock Hollywood FL.

For me I have trying super multitabling and I just can't do it. I can't keep track of players, my brain locks up, I think too fast and make bad decisions. But when I play fewer tables (1 table live for example) I make MORE than I should considering the average. Playing live for me is instant money barring a real bad luck night. I love playing NL live. Its like reading a book when I look at players. Their reactions to my questions, the looks, the moans, the stares from flop to players, the strong means weak and vice versa. I just pick it up.

So my question is this: Would it be true to say that two players with different skill sets can perform different in the same settings even though their skills are equal to each other when you look at it as a whole?

Maybe this is a silly question but I am assuming it to be true.