Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Two simplish hands

Both 10-20 Party.

First hand I get AJs in MP. UTG limps, I limp in MP, button makes it 80, blinds fold, we both call. Flop Ad 6s 4c. Check check bet 180, UTG folds I call. Turn Jc. Check, button bets 250, I call. River 6h I lead 500 with 2k more behind and my opponent has me covered.

Second hand I get As5s. UTG limps, MP limps, I limp on the button blinds come along. Flop Kd4s6s. SB bets 80, folded to me I call. Turn 7d. SB bets 120, I call. River Ac, he checks. What to do? Similar stack sizes as before.

-Jason
Old 06-23-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Two simplish hands

i like both of these hands alot actually.

i would bet 160-200 on the river on the second hand.

I guess you could go for the overbet i missed my flush type bet, but at that level, they know its a good chance you were flush drawing and could very well have had the ace, so it might be hard to get called by a King.

if the river was a 3 or 8, then the river overbet is gorgeous for obvious reasons.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:42 PM

I like hand 1 a lot since most people will pay with AQ/AK figuring you for a "dry" ace or whatever it's called since the 6 paired... What were you planning to do if the turn was a brick? fold? What would do you if the turn gives you the flush draw and he bets the same amount?

Hand 2: I think you have a value bet here, 1/3 pot?....
Old 06-23-2005, 12:43 PM

What were you going to do if you didn't hit your jack on the turn? How strong is your opponent?

If opponent does have AK would he call a CR on the turn to $600 and then your lead out on the river for $500? Would he look at your line and be pretty sure you have a weaker ace and raise the river?

On the second hand I think it is a classic case of whether or not you should value bet a hand that you wouldn't call a raise with? I would check, but I think it is a very close decision.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the second hand I think it is a classic case of whether or not you should value bet a hand that you wouldn't call a raise with?

[/ QUOTE ]

unless its one of the real tricky $2k players, and since he didnt mention any real player info, I dont think it was, then a river value bet and fold to a raise is fine. jason, esp. given his image, will get called when winning much much more than he gets CR.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:48 PM

No reads btw.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What were you planning to do if the turn was a brick?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gulp. Probably check and go from there [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. I'm not sure though, I have trouble in this spot sometimes. I dont feel like check folding the flop is good though especially when it was checked to the button and he bet. Plus in this hand I have running spades. Shrug.

-Jason
Old 06-23-2005, 01:14 PM

I have a question or 2 about the line in the first hand. So in general, are players more likely to call a lead out river bet w/ one pair after 3 cold calls than if you CR them on the turn? Good players will fold 1 pair here about what % of the time? If you get popped on the river are you folding?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:20 PM

would there be any reason to raise the turn in hand 2? seems like you could inflate the pot for a bigger river bet if you hit. plus it may make it look less like you have a flush draw if you do catch a spade. plus fold equity.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would there be any reason to raise the turn in hand 2? seems like you could inflate the pot for a bigger river bet if you hit. plus it may make it look less like you have a flush draw if you do catch a spade. plus fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason: He's giving you a decent price on your draw. Raising re-opens the betting and gives him the chance to move you out of the pot.