Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 07:16 PM

Default I played this hand. I was called an idiot. Please fix my brain. Thanks

I had only seen this guy for about three hands so was totally in the dark. This felt very wrong and dude was certain I was an idiot. Was I?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($39.40)
MP2 ($20.60)
MP3 ($9.75)
CO ($102.85)
Button ($48.75)
SB ($49.50)
BB ($17.40)
UTG ($45.95)
UTG+1 ($36.75)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $2, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($8.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $1.5</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Turn: ($11.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $16.6</font>, Hero calls $1.60.

River: ($44.45) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $44.45
Old 06-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Re: I played this hand. I was called an idiot. Please fix my brain. Th

I think its fine.

you paid 1 buyin to find out that this guy underbets top set on the flop.

next time you'll fold 55 but call with 56 and bust him when the 7 pops.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:40 PM

I thought the flop call was a good play -- I was thinking that if I hit on the turn or river and he had an overpair I could get his stack. Did I have the implied odds to think that? If I miss the turn and he makes a better bet I can drop it. Maybe the call wasn't good but I'd like to think I had a plan. A bad plan is better than no plan, right?
Old 06-22-2005, 08:38 PM

Hi COWMMM --

In retrospect it was a bad call, because his flop bet smaller than his preflop raise screams top set. Suddenly he wakes up on the turn? Too obvious. I wouldn't say you're an idiot -- just don't fall for this again. Like someone raising preflop and the flop comes

Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the preflop raiser checks? Ridiculous -- don't fall for that crap...A missed AK will usually make a continuation bet but top set is just hoping you hit something on the turn. Not always the case of course, but his bet on the turn/river will tell you what he has
Old 06-22-2005, 08:44 PM

Are we sure he lost? Someone who would call someone an idiot after losing with a set is just the type that would try to slowplay aces like that.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are we sure he lost?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:58 PM

whoops - never mind, I'M the idiot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (unless he did lose?)

if he won, I would call a weak bet like that in a second
Old 06-22-2005, 09:30 PM

You got unlucky here. This isn't terrible play. He's an awful player for allowing the possibility of someone outdrawing him for cheap money on a very draw heavy board. I wouldn't feel bad - I'd imagine here with the second overfull - you'll be winning 80+% of the time.

You're hardly an idiot - just and unlucky decent player.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:52 PM

He had AA. At these levels that kind of bet can mean anything -- although that's what I'd do in his shoes with top set. I believe I'm going to be right often enough that it will be profitable. I appreciate the opinion of those who disagreed with my play but I'm not sure if I can't be right often enough in that spot. Can someone really be certain that's a -EV play at .25/.50 NL?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone really be certain that's a -EV play at .25/.50 NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop call to hit set : -EV (unless he's continuation betting, but you're gonna need a read for that)
Once you hit the set : Go.

If I'm gonna call the flop bet (which I won't unless I'm positive that villain is making a continuation bet) and I make a set on the turn, my money is going in.