Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2003, 10:41 AM

Default Hand Reading Exercise and a Shocking Laydown

Playing in the same good 5 game at the Taj. Here is the hand. What do me and my main opponent have? I open raise 2nd UTG. 4 people coldcall (I told you this was a good game). A friend of mine, a tight but very solid player in my opinion calls 8 more out of his SB (already somewhat of a warning bell). BB calls. Big pot. Flop comes K-9-3 with two spades (I have no spades). Check to me and I bet it, like 4 callers including my buddy in the SB (danger will Robinson). Turn is an offsuit Queen. Board K-9-3-Q. Check to me, I bet, two callers, and now SB checkraises me. I call. Others fold. The river is an ace for a final board of K-9-3-Q-A. SB checks (!), I bet, he thinks briefly and folds. What did we both have, and was it well played? Full details to come.

Jeff
Old 01-26-2003, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Hand Reading Exercise and a Shocking Laydown

SB had KQ and you had AK.
Old 01-26-2003, 12:17 PM

I've got SB on KJ spades and you on AK. I doubt he could fold KQ unless he could read you like a book for only raising AA KK QQ AK AQ.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:29 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

you have AK

im guessing the 'shocking' laydown is KQs...i dont see him folding a set here. and your play doesnt indicate JT....but maybe an underset...i thinking he folded the winner the more i think of the 'shocking' part of it...

unless he folded AK on the end which is a ridiculous fold given the action. im assuming the flush didnt get there so he wouldnt be folding a str8. if the flush is there, that may be what he folded then....

so my other choice is you have AA and spiked your A with a flush hitting and he mucked his str8

b
Old 01-26-2003, 07:01 PM

The way it played out I would put you on AK (most likely), AA or AQ. I would have to put your friend on KQ and assume that he "knows" you would not have raised anything less than AQ btf.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:05 PM

You had AK and your buddy had KQ.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Hand Reading Exercise and a Shocking Laydown:RESULTS

Well, I guess this was an easy one =). SB had KQs and I had AK. We talked about this hand away from the table and he said that there wasn't a hand I could bet on the end that he beat. He loses to AK, AQ, KK, QQ, etc. He can only beat AJ and chop with KQ (unlikely). But still, with 200 in the pot and 10 to call I could simply never see laying down for one bet in this spot. All I have to be is steaming or out of line of whatever one time in 20 to make the call correct. And at the time I had been getting pounded quite good (came back to win later) so anything is possible...what if I'd gone nuts with something like JJ on semi tilt and bet in desperation when he checked the end? Unlikely I know, but in that huge pot would you fold the end for one bet closing the action heads up? And I know everyone has results now but please don't let that influence the answer.

Jeff