Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Arnold Rules

Don't call me converted yet but I'm very close.

He has three new ballot initiatives coming up. He has brilliantly pushed only the least controversial of his many controversial proposals.

1. A change to how the redistricting is done. No one can argue that the districting process in CA is a sham and a disgusting corruption of democracy. I think this one passes with ease.

2. Budget cap changes. Who can argue against simply trying to live within your means? This will pass too. The numbers are too convincing for anyone to vote otherwise. California has record revenues this year but you woulnd't know with all the bitching and whining about budget shortfalls. The shortfalls are due to budget rules that won't allow the govt to reduce spending, so certain expenditures have a life of their own. This must change.

3. Tenure for teachers' unions. Normally I'd be against having the state get involved with this part of the unions' negotiations with their employers but.. they made their bed now they have to lie in it. They have roped the state into giving them a monopoly they must face the consequences. This is probably going to pass because no one outside of the teachers' unions actually thinks their tenure process is a good idea.

I think we'll be seeing a 3fer from Arnold, and then he'll gear up for the big fight over the state public employees' pension fund and the teachers' merit pay, both of which will be much tougher to sell to the public.

If he gets half of these passed I'll vote for him next election. If he gets the public pension reform passed I'll volunteer for his next compaign.

The cool thing about his public pension reform is that it very closely mirrors the Social Security issue, and if California can undo their insane defined benefit pension, perhaps that will signal a sea-change for Social security reform.

GO ARNOLD! I did not vote for him, but I am glad he won.

natedogg
Old 06-15-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Arnold Rules

Proof, yet again, that the Republican Party is the one with the most intelligent, wise, and charming people in it.

-Zeno
Old 06-15-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Proof, yet again, that the Republican Party is the one with the most intelligent, wise, and charming people in it.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet the democrats seem to have all of the top notch Cambridge and IVY league guys.

Hmmm.......
Old 06-15-2005, 09:32 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
GO ARNOLD! I did not vote for him, but I am glad he won.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't feel bad. I would've gone with Mary Carey's breasts too.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:18 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/....ap/index.html

What a brilliant idea. Let's spend untold billions of dollars on ballot initiatives whenever the a law comes up that looks good for a political candidate.

Way to fix the budget and show those special interest firefighters and nurses Arnold. You da man.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:19 AM

http://www.arnoldexposed.com/
Old 06-15-2005, 11:33 AM

I'd be much more in favor of all of those proposals, if he wasn't using a special election to get them all passed. Why spend $80 million on a special election, when one of the initiatives is to balance the budget?

I know next to nothing about the California Budget, but I am SURE there are better places to trim the budget than the teachers/nurses/fire and police pension systems.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:53 AM

Yup, I like Natedogg too.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, I like Natedogg too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, he definitely has something going on upstairs. I just wish he wasn't such a kool-aid drinking true believer when it comes to "all government programs are bad" and "privatization is always better".
Old 06-15-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet the democrats seem to have all of the top notch Cambridge and IVY league guys.

Hmmm.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Wacki as you get older you will increasingly realize that many of the smartest people--people who can analyze very well, and have some common sense to boot--aren't in or from rarefied academia.