Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Seeking advice

I am looking for some feedback regarding on-line play. I plan to start playing on-line for money and I am wondering what type of table I should start at. Obviously, I will not start at a high stakes table, but I'm afraid that if I go TOO low (0.50/1.00) many of the strategies I have learned will not work because the other players at the table will always pay to see the flop, turn and river. This is the problem with free games--it usually just comes down to luck and the best hand always wins, rather than the best-played hand.

I plan to start with a $200 bankroll. The question is this: should I start at a 2/4 table and have 50BB, or start at a 0.50/1.00 table and have 200BB?

Also, I'm looking for recommendations on which poker website to open my account. I am considering Partypoker.com because it seems to have the most players. More players = more fish, right?

Thanks in advance for the tips.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Seeking advice

[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for some feedback regarding on-line play. I plan to start playing on-line for money and I am wondering what type of table I should start at. Obviously, I will not start at a high stakes table, but I'm afraid that if I go TOO low (0.50/1.00) many of the strategies I have learned will not work because the other players at the table will always pay to see the flop, turn and river. This is the problem with free games--it usually just comes down to luck and the best hand always wins, rather than the best-played hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The low limit games you just described are the most profitable games in terms of bets per hour. If you don't see why this is true you should a) start at a very low limit yourself b) read some more books. Opponents who always pay to see the turn and river are the best possible opponents.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:59 AM

In your post you complained about "fish" who always scuked out on you and then later you said you wanted to go where the fish are at partypoker.... make up your mind [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 11:45 AM

I know what you mean about the play money tables, everyone all -in preflop or calling down because they can justy reload...Not much help for learning the game. Although it is true that people at the lower limits will call down more it will end up being profitable. Of course there will be more bad beats than you'd like, but it als means you can bet out the nuts confident you'll get callers to pay you off. I started at Pacific Poker because they have some nice low limit games that are full of fish but it will be educational and help you build your roll.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:21 PM

.50/1 is perfect for getting your feet wet while still playing at a level that has some significance.