Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 11:41 AM

Default KJ SB

100+9. i don't think this was pretty.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (10 handed) converter

MP2 (t850)
MP3 (t1730)
CO (t3385)
Button (t1975)
Hero (t945)
BB (t2686)
UTG (t875)
UTG+1 (t6504)
UTG+2 (t920)
MP1 (t1585)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t50, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, UTG+2 calls t100, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t325</font>,
Old 06-22-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: KJ SB

Ya, tough hand here.

I think the guy you need to really worry about here is the UTG+2, not the BB. I have this feeling that the BB has a nine and was just trying to take it down on the flop. UTG+2 limps, and then calls on the flop with no draw. Pocket nines make the most sense to me in this situation. Perhaps he wanted to limp-reraise with A-K. I think he reraises on the flop with K-Q....

For the most part, I think you are probably ahead of the BB, but behind UTG+2, maybe considerably.

And FWIW, I think it's a tough spot to go for the check-raise on the flop with TP ok kicker. Unless you know that the UTG+2 is loose, I'd put him on a pretty decent hand.

Brad
Old 06-22-2005, 11:56 AM

Why are you raising only 1/3 of your remaining stack? You are committing yourself to the pot without putting your opponents to the decision.

If you are worried about being outkicked, call and see if the BB leads into you again. If it's checked to you, you know you are almost certainly good unless UTG+2 has like 33, and you can push. If you are mostly certain you have the best hand, just push now and try to win the pot that's almost 33% of your stack instead of letting them get a free shot to outdraw you.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:58 AM

i prefer a smaller c/r instead of a push because then if both players call i can safely be done with the hand. i'll have a decision to make if one calls.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i prefer a smaller c/r instead of a push because then if both players call i can safely be done with the hand. i'll have a decision to make if one calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Safely be done with the hand, but with a micro stack. The pot is big enough and your stack is short enough that I feel you have to decide now if you are good, and either call or push depending on how confident you are.

Edit: Maybe at $109 you don't get loose calls, but I've been called here by much worse hands. I think at $109 I call and see what my opponents do on the flop. Not to mention the fact that a flatcall and then a big bet on the turn represents more strength than you have and may be able to get KQ to lay down.