Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2003, 03:55 PM

Default Hello! Reinforcing bad play...Hmmm...

Whenever I win a pot EITHER by playing well OR by playing poorly and "sucking out",I am ALWAYS delighted and usually congratulate myself.
I do not become aggravated with myself for playing poorly--in fact,I feel very good about taking down the pot.
Am I actually "teaching myself" to play like a "fish" by experiencing these delightful feelings and congratulating myself EVEN if I knew that I had played the hand very badly??
Hmmm
Just wondering,
Sitting Bull
Old 01-20-2003, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Hello! Reinforcing bad play...Hmmm...

I had two great "suckouts" last night on line. In the first I limped from the button with 87s against 4 players, flopped the open-ended straight draw, and proceeded to catch two running 7s.

In the second I checked in the BB with Q6s, again against 4 limpers, flopped the flush draw, and caught a Q on the turn and a 6 on the river.

In both cases I had correct odds to call on my draw to the turn and river.

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need."

The best part was watching the other players at the table steam.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:14 PM

Default Hello,Kurn... You played correctly.. By \"suck out\" i....

mean playing hands that i should NOT have played in the first place. U had legitimate hands to play.
Happy pokering,
Sitting Bull
Old 01-22-2003, 09:35 AM

As a solid, winning 1-5 no-ante stud player, why would you suddenly start playing bad cards, Bull? If you are getting a bit bored, it could be time to move up to $5-10. As structured here in the east, (.50 ante, $2 bring in) that game also favors tight play, but has a bit more action. The move could be painful at first, causing you to dig into your b/r, but I'd think you'd soon get used to the stakes and be a winning player there as well.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:26 PM

The essential winner's attitude is to FEEL PLEASURE each time he makes the correct play EVEN if he lost the pot, and to FEEL PAIN each time he makes the wrong play EVEN if he won the pot. This is a critical stimulus/response habit that you MUST groove into your nervous system circuitries IMMEDIATELY.

As your post indicates, you SO FAR HAVE BEEN doing damage to your neuro-circuitries by doing the reverse. This internal damage will inevitably create external (that is bankroll) damage if it is not reversed immediately! NOW as you move deeper and deeper into that dark tunnel of doom, notice that there is a light behind you. And as you do, realize that this light is the light of logic and rational thinking. While you are fully turning around to face this light hear it resoundingly say, "For you to feel pleasure each time you make the correct play (even if you lost the pot) is both rational and sane. For you to feel pleasure each time you played the hand incorrectly (yet won the pot) is irrational and stupid." As you move closer and closer towards this light, notice it becoming brighter and brighter and as it does notice that your old bad habit of wrongly feeling good after winning a pot in which you played the hand wrongly has withered and died way back there behind you in the dark tunnel of doom. While it does, feel the new winner's habit that you now have become more and more powerful and realize that it is always going to be there for you as long as you remain committed to playing winning poker.