Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Default 7CS-5&10

Suits do not matter in this hand. I raised from the beginning. The other players had no T's, A's, or K's. The others dropped on third and 4th street. My questions are would you check the river or bet out knowing that you would probably not get raised? If you check and player 6 bets do you call? If both players bet and call do you automatically drop?

Seat 8 me 7K/K9K4/6

Seat 2 has XX/643A/X

Seat 6 has XX/TQ5T/X.

Thanks rcp
Old 02-06-2003, 12:00 AM

Default Re: 7CS-5&10

Bet, and this is not a close decision. Expect to be called by worse hands a lot. If, for some reason, I did check, player 2 bet and player 6 called, I would sometimes call and sometimes raise depending on my opponents. I would also at least call if player 6 were the bettor. I would never, never, never fold trips without compelling evidence that I was beaten, and you haven't provided any such evidence here. Why would you be thinking about folding?
Old 02-06-2003, 12:08 AM

yea gitz, andys right. dont check here. and if you do and the ace bets and the tens call, expect to see aces up and three tens most of the time.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:44 AM

In general, in river situations like this, ask yourself, "If I bet here, will I get a call from anything OTHER than hands that can beat me." The answer in this situation is CLEARLY, "yes." You should get called by Aces Up and trip tens. You could also get called by a lone pair of Aces desparately hoping they'll hold up.

In short: this is a clear bet.

Doc.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:34 PM

Thanks that what I did was bet and got called by both players. #2 I assume I beat and #6 filled up. He had T's over 5's. Just confirming what I thought that betting was the right thing to do even though against two players. His comment was I would of raised but I was afraid of K's over.

Thanks again
Old 02-06-2003, 08:26 PM

On the small stakes hold'em forum in particular, there are a lot of posts that basically say, "I lost a hand. When should I have folded?" Unfortunately, you have to lose a hand once in a while, and this was one of them. Your opponent should probably have raised, unless you are consistently timid enough that you check big trips on the end into not-too-scary boards, meaning that your river bet more than likely represents a full house.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:33 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
On the small stakes hold'em forum in particular, there are a lot of posts that basically say, "I lost a hand. When should I have folded?" Unfortunately, you have to lose a hand once in a while, and this was one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said -- excellent point!

Doc.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:56 PM

is there something i am missing? i would bet every time here.

Pat
Old 02-07-2003, 03:01 PM

good point. in a recent game i raised with split queens, made two pair and kept betting. on the river i bet and was called by three jacks. he had a pair of jacks on the board on fifth street and never raised. you cant always read your opponent and then fold. if you play correctly this will happen to you once in a while (hoepfully not too often!)

Pat