Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Play for the jackpot or the pot

Playing some 7Stud h/l yesterday and the house has a bad beat jackpot on the table that is KKKK or better beaten. The jackpot is $64K and pays 40% to the loser, 20% to the winner, 20% to the table and 20% to the floor.

This hand comes up...

I have 7s10s in the hole and Js n the door, I bring in, calling station does what he does best, solid player calls, furstrated solid player calls and has As in the door. By 5th I have a straight flush and the frustrated player is showing AAA, the calling station is showing a wheel draw (345) and the solid player is showing KKK.

6th street is a brick for all, AAA bets out. Whats your play, are you a calling station or are you pumping it?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Play for the jackpot or the pot

Pump it. AAA and KKK probably aren't getting away from their hands with 1 more card to come and they may have a full house or quads already, in which case they're definitely not folding.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:30 PM

They are going nowhere. Jam it.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:35 PM

Thanks guys I feel better, I did pump it up, the KKK droped, and the calling station did was he does best, 7th street brought a skicking K to the AAA and the case A to me. The KKK told us he folded total crap in the hole and knew he was beat.

I was kind of sick about it, missed out on $12K and well could only feel better when I thought that it was the right play at the time. Oh well next time I guess.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:40 PM

What, you're afraid your opponent will fold trip A? If he has the boat he's gonna reraise you. If he draws to quads he'll draw to quads regardless of whether you pump it or not.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:10 PM

Low limit stud is a nit game to begin with and BB jackpots destroy the way the game should be played. I saw a player today fold and show 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on 5th street to 2 players that were showing Q-Q-Q and K-K-K. He said he was drawing to a 2 outer and couldn't call $5 [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Neither player made quads but I would think with a 50k bad beat jackpot pot odds were there. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Bad beat jackpots do change the way the game is played. Conventional pot odds can be thrown out the window. 1 and 2 outers to monster hands you HAVE to play if you think anyone has quads or better. Checking down made quads and straight flushes in the hopes someone else catches a monster is common. The problem is you dont get paid off on your big hands trying to get someone else to catch. In a game where the rake is so large you have to get paid on your big hands. My advice? Play the game and forget the jackpot. If it happens it happens. Playing or dealing a game that the whole tables is waiting for rolled up cards is just plain stupid. I've dealt many stud games when the jackpot gets real big where in 30 minutes you get to 4th street maybe 3 times. The low card brings in $1 and it folds back around. Fun times. Nothing like 8 70 year old men nitpicking about "that damn hold'em" detroying poker. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2005, 11:37 PM

The cards would be just as likely to come out A-K as they were to come out K-A. If that had been the case you would have felt even worse that you didn't jam the pot, then not only did you play the hand badly in terms of poker theory but you also cost yourself the jackpot that you were trying to win. This was an unfortunate result, but you played it correctly.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:58 PM

you people are awful.

why the hell would you jam the pot with a straight flush when you want AAA and KKK to stay in?

especially when your straight flush is hidden and you can bust the player if he fills up or makes quads.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:20 AM

Because AAA and KKK will most likely put us on either a straight or a flush but probably not both, which means they're probably sticking around to see if they can fill up, that is assuming they don't have a full house or quads already. Also if the guy who has the wheel draw doesn't have his low yet it is critical to force him to pay or fold. Ignoring the jackpot, raising here is the only correct decision.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because AAA and KKK will most likely put us on either a straight or a flush but probably not both, which means they're probably sticking around to see if they can fill up, that is assuming they don't have a full house or quads already. Also if the guy who has the wheel draw doesn't have his low yet it is critical to force him to pay or fold. Ignoring the jackpot, raising here is the only correct decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I misread that it was Stud H/L to Stud. Still doesn't change my response.

You cannot ignore the jackpot. I will take a $100 loss if there is a 1% chance I'm winning $100,000.