Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Question on WLLH p77

This is the situation: Flop: Kh-Ts-4s ; hero holds Ts-9s and opponent has AK (offsuited?).
The book says: "...you are about a 3.4:1 dog to somebody with AK, but some of your outs involve drawing again on the turn. GIven that you may make your two pair or flush and still get beaten, you should be getting at least 12:1 odds to call in this situation"

My question is how he gets the 12:1 odds that the pot needs to lay for a correct call. I guess the 3.4:1 odd computation can be done by enumerating all possible turn and river cards. But i can't understand how to go from the 3.4:1 odds to the 12:1 pot odds. Thanks a lot!
Old 06-20-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Question on WLLH p77

You have listed the Ts twice. Double check the hand real quick.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:39 PM

The suits are misrepresented in your post.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:41 PM

Oops. you are right. This is it:

Hero: Ts-9s
Villain: AK (offsuit?)
Flop: Kh-Tc-4s
Old 06-20-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the situation: Flop: Kh-Ts-4s ; hero holds Ts-9s and opponent has AK (offsuited?).
The book says: "...you are about a 3.4:1 dog to somebody with AK, but some of your outs involve drawing again on the turn. GIven that you may make your two pair or flush and still get beaten, you should be getting at least 12:1 odds to call in this situation"

My question is how he gets the 12:1 odds that the pot needs to lay for a correct call. I guess the 3.4:1 odd computation can be done by enumerating all possible turn and river cards. But i can't understand how to go from the 3.4:1 odds to the 12:1 pot odds. Thanks a lot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Before we get our torches out on Lee Jones the actual hand is this:

Hero T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Board: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

So using SSH standard out counting: (2) for the tens, Discount 9s for the striaght 1.5-2, BDFD 1-1.5

So at best 5.5 outs. Also Lee is assuming many opponents, so it is more likely than normalthat someone could make a better two pair or a straight (not as big an issue as he makes it out to be)
Old 06-20-2005, 08:08 PM

Hi. thanks! it makes sense to me. Should you count the tens as full outs (board pairs and AK can make a FH if the river is a K)? I guess the answer is yes, because prob of that happening is 2/46. I haven't read WLLH in a while and after reading SSH, i noticed that WLLH is not a very good book. I noticed the examples are very poorly described (sometimes you don't even know the pot size, or number of players or your position).
Old 06-20-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi. thanks! it makes sense to me. Should you count the tens as full outs (board pairs and AK can make a FH if the river is a K)? I guess the answer is yes, because prob of that happening is 2/46. I haven't read WLLH in a while and after reading SSH, i noticed that WLLH is not a very good book. I noticed the examples are very poorly described (sometimes you don't even know the pot size, or number of players or your position).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would count them as full outs, unless the action got really heavy. Just IMO (in other words I have never consulted an expert on this) if you are constantly afraid of big backdoor draws, you are going to have to muck every hand.

Worry about a set once someone gives you a very good reason to. To me that means capping the flop and showing willingness to cap the turn.