Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Roy Cooke - An open letter to Doyle

The whole artical is at this link

Cooke to Doyle

I think he speaks alot of sense in this article, but will it ever happen and is Doyle the right man?

Here is a snippet,

[ QUOTE ]
Unless and until we have some kind of national poker association, our own NBA or NFL, we will be chump change in the world of media and sponsorships. We will fight among ourselves for an ever-shrinking pool of funds. We will have no power in Congress and the state legislatures. We will continue to operate in incredibly inefficient ways that cost everybody in the industry money — really big money! Without someone to bring us together, we are destined to continue fighting over the pie until there are only scraps left.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-21-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Roy Cooke - An open letter to Doyle

Link does not work.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:17 AM

What the hell is Cooke talking about. The great thing about poker is it is NOT set up like the NFL, NBA and those other ridiculous entities.

Cooke sucks, I would drop him like third period french in any type of short-handed affair.

TSP
Old 06-21-2005, 10:50 AM

I do think there should be a unified tournament players union. It's really unfair how all these tournament players foot 10K entry fees for these televised tournaments. They're characters in a show and see no revenue from that. WSOP and WPT producers are making tons of money off these personalities and they don't see a dime of that. I either think there should be a players union, or subsidized fees for players in televised events.

Also, 1 poker entity would wield much more power as far as getting sponserships, etc. I wouldn't compare it to the NFL or NBA, but more like boxing in its early days, with multiple titles and events.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:09 AM

Who would benefit from any kind of association anyways? Imagine the headlining poker news being some goofpuck like Hellmuth's contract dispute with the wpt. . . or the introduction of a new line of the legendary Ron Rose's rimless spectacles?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:13 AM

how owuld you determine who gets into a player's union? All the famous guys now have been player tourneys for years and years and have built up nice resumes as a result; however, being a relatively new sport, it's hard t determine who should be sponsored and who shouldn't. Would players get paid just for a tv appearance? or would there be like a min. amount of cashing per tourney ratio like qualifying for the batting title?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 PM

I found this article extremely gay.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how owuld you determine who gets into a player's union? All the famous guys now have been player tourneys for years and years and have built up nice resumes as a result; however, being a relatively new sport, it's hard t determine who should be sponsored and who shouldn't. Would players get paid just for a tv appearance? or would there be like a min. amount of cashing per tourney ratio like qualifying for the batting title?

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a thread yesterday that had a link to this:

http://www.tourney.com/tournament-poker-rankings.php

I think perhaps the top 50-100 players would qualify for the "union". I honestly don't have any formal thoughts on this, but I find it odd that these players that are bring in the ratings aren't seeing anything from it. Sure the players at the final tables win huge cash prizes at the end, but that's a direct result of the buy-in, they don't see any of the other profits. If there was a unified poker entity and player representation, this wouldn't be the case.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:48 PM

They're seeing huge huge quantities of dead money in every tounament they play thanks solely to TV coverage.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think there should be a unified tournament players union.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumbest idea ever.