Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Flopped a Boat; Never Bet or Raised

Awesome 10/20 table last night, everyone at the table is loose/passive.
Not sure if I maximized value on this one. I think you could make a case for putting in a raise on any street.
I was just afraid that a raise would knock too many people out, as I had all the good cards. And then when CO folded on the river, going for the overcall seemed right.
How was this?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP folds, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 06-19-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Flopped a Boat; Never Bet or Raised

A raise on the flop is bad.

A raise on the turn is iffy.

However, I think a raise on the river is good. There is always the chance that SB *might* call 2 cold, and I doubt BB is folding.

You might catch an extra bet here 15% of the time.

Anyways, that is a nice, juicy hand. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2005, 07:10 PM

If it was a juicy loose passive table than I think people would call 2 cold on the flop most of the time. Over cards/straight draws will call. In the heat of the moment you feel like you don't want to scare people off, but people like to call with aweful hands. The flop is where I would raise, I am sure the hand would play out differently from there.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop is where I would raise, I am sure the hand would play out differently from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop raise=burning money.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:51 PM

I see no reason why you wouldn't raise the turn. There's been a bet and a caller now make 'em pay twice. You may lose the SB, but he may come along too with what he thinks is a good draw. Plus, you just never know BB could have a 2nd best monster here.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see no reason why you wouldn't raise the turn. There's been a bet and a caller now make 'em pay twice. You may lose the SB, but he may come along too with what he thinks is a good draw. Plus, you just never know BB could have a 2nd best monster here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would've raised the turn if the 2nd 9 didnt hit, because now it looks like I'm going to chop with someone (likely BB) and was trying to keep A-high type hands in there.