Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2003, 05:49 PM

Default Why we win at poker

Some may feel that this post belongs elsewhere. I disagree.

This was brought on by some of the behavior I've seen by professional or (more likely) wannabe professional players at the WPO.

The behavior I am talking about basically boils down to being a sore loser. It includes throwing cards, reprimanding players for bad calls, and yelling "runner, runner, runner, runner". This behavior not only hurts the winnings for the players in question, but also for the friendly players like you and me.

Why do you think we win at poker? Why are some of us able to play poker all day and never work? Is it because we are geniuses? NO! The biggest reason we win is because most players have reasons for playing poker which are more important to them then winning money. How many of us could beat the rake if we played against no one but twoplustwo posters? I doubt many. It is the scores of players who come to the table and have fun/socialize/gamble much higher on their priority list than "win money". These are the people who provide for our livlihoods. If they enjoy themselves and meet their goals they will be back time and time again, win or lose. If they run into jerk after jerk they will spend their precious time and money for recreation elsewhere. Whether that be at the craps table or the golf course, it will not be at the poker table.

So, let's go out of our way to be friendly and courteous to everyone at the table, win or lose. We want them to come back time and time again, strengthening and growing the game which takes up such a big part of our lives.

Also, the friendlier you are at the table, the better time you'll have.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Why we win at poker

Not many businesses would survive if they treated their best customers as horribly as some professional poker players do. But you're probably preaching to the choir. The people who act this way do so in all walks of their life, not just at the poker table. They probably ended up poker players in the first place because they couldn't get along too well with other people in a more "normal" job.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:46 PM

Two different nights in the same week:

Night one - Maniac comes in and buys a rack. Within an hour he has four racks. He's playing terribly, but hitting. One guy loses a 2-outer, 2-outer, and 4-outer to him within 20 minutes. He starts needling the maniac about what a terrible player he is. The player next to the needler is talking to him in a soft voice, but loud enough to be overheard, about what a bad player the guy is. Finally the guy says "Man, you guys aren't very much fun!" and starts racking up. He leaves the table with four and a half racks.

Night two - Different maniac comes in and buys a rack. He loses it almost immediately. He buys another rack, and this time he hits, getting up to three or four racks (he didn't stack nicely for me). He's fun, everyone's fun, and it's a good time. He stays for five hours, at which time he has lost back all of his winnings. "Hey guys, that was a fun time, I guess I should have left earlier - you guys are too good! Hey, you know what, let me give it one more shot." He buys another rack and loses that. "OK, I surrender. That's all for me. I'll be back next weekend to win it back, though!"

I'm sure everyone here has seen both of these scenarios countless times. It was just interesting for me to see them within a couple of days of each other.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:07 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

players who treat others players like this arent pros and are far from being one....

anyone who has played long enough and understands the game, wouldnt do this to worse players....

these players are break even at best.

however, i may be a rarity that i actually find it amusing to hear these idiots yap. though i dont think its good for the table, it is entertaining to me. breaks the monotany sometimes...

b
Old 01-15-2003, 08:20 PM

Matt great post I couldnt agree with you more, Im sure that most if not all here would also agree
Old 01-15-2003, 08:39 PM

Heh, fair enough. But instead I try to combat the effects of the whining... make fun of the guy doing the needling. With a bit of skill and a bit of luck, -he- is the one that ends up racking up and leaving. Or, at least turn his needling into a bit of a joke, which usually calms the maniac down some, or even entertains them.

The few times I've done it, the guy either stands or figures out what he is doing to the game. Either way, I've come out a winner from it.

I'm not sure if this is the best course of action, or even a good (or safe) idea, but it's something. If people start getting truely hostile, it's time to involve the floor-person. If people make your working conditions difficult at work, you talk with your boss...Same with poker.

Just my two amateur cents.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:53 PM

I think you should name names and publicly shame the players into behaving better.

I mean if so many posters see fit to comment on how the gentlemenly Jim Brier plays poker then surely we can out some of rude poker players also.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:38 PM

I agree.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:40 PM

Some may feel that this post belongs elsewhere. I disagree.

you're wrong. this post does not deal specifically with mid-hi stakes holdem. it should have been posted on the general theory forum. you probably posted it here because you thought more people would read it here.

the behavior you describe is usually done by losing players, so what do you think their motivation would be to change?

The biggest reason we win is because most players have reasons for playing poker which are more important to them then winning money.

I disagree with this. almost all players play for the money. otherwise, they would just play for play money or at ultra-low limits. the reason I win is because I play better than my opponents.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:56 AM

Matt,excellant post. There are moaner's in almost every game. You know the type,they moan about runner,runner but forget about the pots they take down when the cards miss for their opponets. I can't remember how many games have broken because of behavior like this. I don't know if it is proper to mention names, but most would not acknowledge or recognize their behavior anyway.