Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Best monitor for bad eyes (constant eyestrain)

I currently run a Samsung 17' (16" viewable). Which runs 1280x1024 at 60 mhz (yuck). From what I understand, the refresh rate is the defining factor for the monitor being easy on the eyes. I have terrible eyesight and this monitor is giving me bad headaches, neck cramps, eyestrain, etc.

SO, I am upgrading, the 0h-so-popular 2001fp runs 1600x1200 at 60 mhz, while the dell 21" CRT (P1130) runs 1600x1200 at 85 mhz. They both have 20" viewable, and the necessary 1600x1200. SO, if eyestrain is a big concern for me would the CRT be my best choice or am I overlooking something?

Thanks for the help
GS
Old 06-17-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Best monitor for bad eyes (constant eyestrain)

Refresh rates from LCD vs CRTs are not comparable. You will be much better served with the 2001FP over the CRT.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Refresh rates from LCD vs CRTs are not comparable. You will be much better served with the 2001FP over the CRT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I had heard, but I checked out their stats and - as I mentioned - the P1130 21" CRT refreshes 1600x1200 at 80mhz, while the 21" 2001fp LCD refreshes 1600x1200 at 60 mhz, am I missing something?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:48 PM

Yep, the refresh rates for LCD's are insipid. The 2001FP is unlimited much better than your CRT regarding eye strain.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, the refresh rates for LCD's are insipid. The 2001FP is unlimited much better than your CRT regarding eye strain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit, looks like I have an order to return. Thank you very much guys.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:58 PM

plus... CRTs are backlit with a strong light which is worse for your eyes... (or something like that... i dont know the terminolgy... i just know that the brighter backlight is not suppose to be good for you)

cubs
Old 06-18-2005, 02:19 AM

no offense but i am simply amazed that there are posters on this board who still consider CRTs an option.

there is a reason why 2 2001fps are standard-issue multitabling gear.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
plus... CRTs are backlit with a strong light which is worse for your eyes... (or something like that... i dont know the terminolgy... i just know that the brighter backlight is not suppose to be good for you)

[/ QUOTE ]
There is NO backlight in a CRT. There are phosphers on the front of the tube that glow when struck with an electron beam coming from the rear of the tube, exactly like with a conventional television. On a good CRT monitor you can adjust the contrast, brightness, and a couple dozen other settings to your heart's content. If you think it's too bright, turn it down!

I spend my entire day and most of my night staring at CRTs. The only reason I get eyestrain is because I'm running at a sufficiently high resolution that everything is just a bit smaller than it should be for me to see it comfortably. But that's the only way to get four tables on one screen without a lot of overlap.

The big things to look for with LCDs are image contrast and brightness. They also tend to be more restrictive on resolution, so you need to be sure the one you're looking at will run at the resolution you need in one of its native modes.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:54 AM

No wonder your eyesight is bad. The flicker of 60 hertz on a CRT will cause the next California earthquake. Your eyes will bleed at this rate. I'm not kidding.

Regardless of which monitor solution you plan to choose, in the interim, get your current monitor off of 60 hertz or stop using it until you get a replacement if that's all it'll do.

Onaflag..........
Old 06-18-2005, 09:24 AM

I was a CRT fan myself until I bought my first TFT. No regrets at all. This review is among the best I read. Buy any of the two monitors they compare and you wont be dissapointed anyhow. And 60hz on a tft is "comparable" on having 85-90 on a crt. You simply won't notice the update frequecy the same way.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1974

They compare the Compaq 2001fp and Samsung 213T. The 213T is a litte more expencive but way better to anything but fast games (like Quake and such). 213T will be my next monitor for sure. But the 2001FP is no way bad at all. If you hardly play any Quake-like games I would recomend the 213T, if you can't afford it or play alot of non-poker games 2001FP would be better.

"The look of the 213T speaks volumes of its own. Even though the Dell 2001FP is a high end device, the SyncMaster 213T is the definitive ultra-enthusiast device. We were particularly impressed with contrast, glare and dark value divergence between the 213T and the 2001FP. In our opinion, the 2001FP is the better gaming monitor. However as a workstation LCD, the SyncMaster 213T is unparalleled. DVD playback has no equal to anything we have tested over the last two years, and the additional screen space goes a long way. The brighter panel goes a long way in our opinion."

Just my 2c.