Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Spot the mistake...

I think I need help…

Live £5 ($10) r&a tournament – 120 starters. Re-buys period ended 15 minutes ago.

7 players + big stack just moved to my immediate left, but sitting out this hand. Hero is CO with 1700 plus change. Blinds 50/100 and will rise to 100/200 in about 5 minutes. Players to hero’s left have been respecting his raises, B and BB both have hero covered. UTG +1 has hero covered and has been raising 50%+ hands including 3 of the last 4. He has called re-raises with J9s and A4o in the last 10 minutes or so.

UTG+1 raises to 400, Hero looks down at A8o and…er…calls! Duh!

I’m guessing no one calls here? But what action should hero have taken?

Steve
Old 06-16-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Spot the mistake...

fold

there are much better spots. you can't not go broke if an A flops, and you'll be dominated very often. just wait for a better hand or opportunity than this. you'd much rather raise first in w/ this hand than call one.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:41 AM

Just because I wouldn't mind taking a 60/40 edge here to double up, I would push. I mean, there's a small chance he'd fold, but given his hand range, there's a large chance you're ahead (likely by 60/40, but possibly by more). Also, with only two to act behind you, there's a large chance you'll be heads up with him, which is obviously ideal.

Poooosh!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:43 AM

This is a fold or move in situation. Given how short you are compared to everyone else, I think you should probably shove.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:58 AM

Thanks dmk.

I’m not sure that there are going to be better spots. I’m facing a raise in front of me most hands, so am not getting the opportunity to open raise/steal. Additionally, an unknown big stack has just sat at my left. I’m going to face the blinds twice in the next 13 hands, once at 50/100 and once at 100/200, so potentially will be down to 1350’ish or 7BB if I don’t hit a hand. If I then double through I’ll be back up to 14BB, which is worse off than I am now.

I don’t think that I can afford to miss any opportunity to accumulate chips at this stage.

Steve
Old 06-16-2005, 09:58 AM

I fold here. If you can get past the blinds you will still have some FE with a lot of hands to go before the blinds orbit again. Don't want to see a dominated ace here.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:08 AM

Might I get more equity by raising to 800 or 900?

Additional information (that I should of included in my original post). I’m pretty sure that the button and blinds will only call/raise a re-raise from me with a monster. I’m 90% positive that utg+1 will call any smaller raise, but am guessing he will lay down 50% of his hands to an ai. UTG has also been significantly less aggressive post flop and I think he will lay down to a reasonable bet if he misses.

Steve
Old 06-16-2005, 10:10 AM

I'll cheerfully take a coin flip here!

Steve
Old 06-16-2005, 11:33 AM

if villian has really been raising 50% of his hands, u gotta push here.

a simple rule to remember:
A8 is never ever ever a hand to call a raise with.

ever.

(It is always a reraise or fold)

-Scott
Old 06-16-2005, 12:08 PM

Thanks Scott

Playing the hand, I had no intention of calling. I briefly considered folding, but thought this was too good an opportunity to pass up at stage where I need to accumulate chips. So my only decision was how much to raise. (I’m still wondering whether ai is the only move here?). I heard someone say call and was horrified to realise that it was me. Oh well…

…button calls. SB, short stack of 800’ish calls. Flop comes AJ3 all clubs, of which I have none. SB, and original raiser check. Pot is 1650, I go ai for my remaining 1300.

Steve