Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Commerce 10-20

This one was played a while back so I might not have the exact figures down.

Table's been pretty normal for a 10-20 game. Couple of fish w/ the rest being solid. Guy to my right is a solid Asian pro who I know tears up this game. However, today whenever he raises preflop someone outflops him or he misses or whatever and he's not able to take down many pots. He's tightened up a bit.

I'm in the BB w/ JTs. 4 limpers and he raises on the button to 160. He's sitting w/ ~$5000. I got ~$4500. I've lost ~$500 in about 2 hrs of play at this particular table. I probably got a TAG image at this moment.

I call the raise as well as the cutoff who has about $3000.

Flop is TJ5 w/ 2 spades. I got hearts. No heart on flop.

I lead for 350. Cutoff folds and button raises to 1000 straight.

I put him on a big pocket. AA or KK only.

How should I continue with the hand in order to get my whole stack in the middle and have him to call me?
Old 06-20-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Commerce 10-20

smooth call flop raise, check raise on non A or K turn,and lead strong on river if he checks on turn.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:42 PM

Why not just push? He might think you're semi bluffing with a hand like KQ, it'll be good for your table image to be seen defending your money so aggressively, and if he's on tilt as you suggest he just might call you.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:49 PM

if you have him on this small of a hand range it might be best to go to the river and make sure you dont get outdrawn

lots of ways to lose to an overpair here, and i personally would love to know i have the best hand on the river
Old 06-20-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
smooth call flop raise, check raise on non A or K turn,and lead strong on river if he checks on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about if a spade falls? Now that I think about it, AK spades can be very possible. Sorry I didn't mention this before.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:48 AM

hi stealyourface,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this line is that he'll check behind you if a spade falls, and may thus get a free look at the river with a flush draw. In fact, many cards will kill your action here, including a 9, a Q, and a J, as well as any spade, of course.

So, if you just call the flop, I'd lead out huge if a spade hits, trying to represent a bluff that he may decide to pick off with his AA/KK and possible nut draw.

But, if he really has AA/KK, he's playing it pretty badly so far, IMO. He appears to be trying to play a big pot, having raised you not enough to move out a OESD or flush draw. This is a terrible idea with one big pair. I'd say it's more likely he has AKs or some type of bluffish hand that he's hoping to win with right now.

I personally would play this hand very fast on the flop, leading for 300 (as you did), and re-re-raising all-in, hoping he'd read me for a big draw. After he makes it 1000, going all-in is pretty natural anyway (pot + your last 1K).
Play your hand like this, and you may get him to lay down next time you flop a straight-flush draw vs. his overpair.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally would play this hand very fast on the flop, leading for 300 (as you did), and re-re-raising all-in, hoping he'd read me for a big draw. After he makes it 1000, going all-in is pretty natural anyway (pot + your last 1K).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how I'd play it.

[ QUOTE ]
Play your hand like this, and you may get him to lay down next time you flop a straight-flush draw vs. his overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. Playing flopped sets/two-pair hands/straights on drawy boards super fast is not only a great way to get paid off, but also buys you some fold equity for future hands with villain when you do have a huge draw vs. his big pair.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:44 AM

i feel like pushing just gives away too much info about your hand.

The original poster puts him squarely on AA or KK. If i have an overpair and someone pushes in that situation i am usually folding.

Maybe my line is not the best, but i don't think pushing is the best option because it just reveals too much strength.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:30 PM

It is not like your hand is a lock at this point so I don't think hiding its strength is very smart. This raise came in position so I think AK of spades or even KQs (maybe not if you said he is playing very tight) are possibilities. Even an overpair has 5 outs against you on the turn, and 8 on the river assuming you don't fill up. Just push.