Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Top Set but whole table staying with me

Reads - SB is an LPP as rated by PT w/ low post flop aggression. Same with BB (sLPP - calling station symbol by PT).

I think I played all streets correctly up till the river. With the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], it completes a high and low straight as well as the flush. My thought was that one of them must be chasing for something and is likely trying to C/R me at the river. Thats why I checked behind.

Is this still a value bet at the river? or check is ok?

Thanks!

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

River: (15 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Top Set but whole table staying with me

Haha, yeah that's about the worst river card you could see.

You could try a value bet, as a lot of players would just bet out if they'd hit, but checking is definitely not the worst move in the world.

If it was me, I'd probably check and then kick myself for not betting when I win the pot.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 AM

You hate getting raised here, but you should bet. The flush is not always out there and it's unlikely that someone has a 5 given the action. Clearly worse hands will call, as well.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:49 AM

With position, you gotta bet this.

Without position a check/call is ok.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:59 AM

i like checking this river. you've shown aggression the entire time, so it is possible someone is counting on you to bet so they can raise. however i feel like it's more likely that a straight will call you if it's there, a flush will raise you, if it's there and everyone else will fold because i can't imagine middle pair calling on such a scary board. however this is micro, so i guess everything to calling with ace high is possible here. however, i like a check here. i feel like we're only called by things that beat us.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly worse hands will call, as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont know if i agree with this. yes, worse hands may have called to this point. but i can't see you getting enough calls and winning to justify the risk of being raised or losing.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel like we're only called by things that beat us.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's not all that much that beats us (spades, T9, fives). These guys are calling with any piece IMHO.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i feel like we're only called by things that beat us.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's not all that much that beats us (spades, T9, fives). These guys are calling with any piece IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like micro guys fall in love with check/raising the river on a completed flush when hero has shown aggression the entire time. and then there is the other bread who always fears monsters and checks his straight to the 3 flush board. i just think it's best to check this rather than face a raise- do you call one? the only thing that makes me consider betting is our position. if we had been check/calling the hwole time and it gets checked to us here then i bet because i dont think people are counting on a check/raise. but here, when we've been betting the entire time, i feel like a c/r is a possibility. or 3 (or however many players in the hand) folds.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:18 AM

Meh, the check/raise issue is the sucky part. I call one; even if it's not +EV it's +sanity (even though if it went bet-call-call-check/raise, you're screwed nearly everytime), plus you always see wacky stuff you beat (as well as bluffs) every so often.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:11 AM

I like the hand. 4 players, I doubt nobody has a flush/straight here. Less opponents, more likely I'd be to value bet it. I think that the value is very thin here...